r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1st Pod Adventure - Canadian Rockies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinhe&Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st Pod Adventure - Canadian Rockies
    Posted: 25 May 2010 at 11:39am
Well, our first trip is done and all the things I worried about turned out to be nothing: climbing and descending steep grades being the biggest.  We took our 176 from Calgary through the Rockies to Fairmont Hot Springs. The Santa Fe had plenty of power and handled the hills really well.

The highway - not so much!  I experienced a lot of 'porpoising': TV and trailer bouncing all over the highway.  No problem getting the speed up but if I get to bouncing, I have to slow down, have a mild panic attack, fantasize about a strong drink and then get going again.  Apparently it is a common problem, so I have been reading a lot about resolutions which only adds to the confusion.  Anyone experience this problem especially with a short wheelbased vehicle?

Outside of the first and last hour of the trip, it was fabulous.  We had a great time in the hot springs, playing bocce ball, touring around the Columbia Valley and geocaching.  The Pod was a joy and functioned perfectly.  Thanks to those that pointed out that the sink tap gets clogged with construction debris.   It only took a minute of dribbling to remember to unscrew the end and clear out the construction debris.

The R-dome setup was a gruelling cardio workout requiring lots of silicone spray, screwdrivers, sandpaper and the contribution of other campers.  It is literally stained with my blood!  Hoping the kinks are worked out and it will go easier next time.

Will post some pics soon.

Kathy
R-Pod 176
2010 Nissan Pathfinder LE
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 11:57am
For the most part, sounds like a great time !!!

I'm sure the towing experts will be contributing here shortly, and the r-Dome
has been known to be tempermental at times, but it can be conquered.
Looking forward to the pics !!!
clevispin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clevispin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 3:37pm
What kind of hitch are you using? Too much tongue weight would do that, and a weight-equalizing hitch might help. The Santa Fe has a shorter wheel base than the mini vans and pickups that many of us use, but I haven't seen any of the smaller SUV owners serving up this complaint.

Tom
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 6:01pm
I have a 2009 santa fe that I use to pull my 173. I use the e-2 equalizer hitch. I have never had a problem. Couch's suggested it because my santa fe is a 2wheel drive.  I don't know the trailer is back there even going 65 miles an hour with trucks passing. Good Investment and peace of mine. I travel by myself.
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Jinhe&Me View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinhe&Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 6:47pm
I do have a WDH.  Although  I noticed on the weekend that the receiver (? the part bolted to the Santa Fe) has a notice on it to NOT USE a WDH as it is a weight carrying hitch.  <sigh> So I need to go back to the dealer on that.  My Santa Fe is all wheel drive.  So far what I have learned is any or all or perhaps none of the below:
- not enough weight on the hitch
- too much weight on the hitch
- WDH tension bars too tight
- WDH tension bars too loose
- TV and Pod need different shocks
- Air bags required
- Think about a longer wheel based vehicle
- Ensure the front of the trailer is at least 1" below the back end (trailers should not be level)
- Trailers must be level - ignore those who tell you otherwise
I am going to talk to both the Hyundai dealership and the RPod dealer and see if I can get some answers.   I may have to consider a second hand truck if the situation remains.  It is just me, my daughter and our two small dogs and I don't want to put any of us in a dangerous situation.

Thanks for any input.
R-Pod 176
podpeople View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podpeople Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 7:20pm
I have a Jeep liberty and have not had any towing issues. I don't use a WDH or sway bar and i have no sway or bouncing issues. Most of my towing is highway and i average 60 mph only to save gas. The trailer is slightly nose down because of the rear tire on the gate and i did not want to extend the distance from the TV. I like it close to the TV, i think they pull better. Good luck
Podpeople
2010 RP 171
2007 GMC Envoy 5.3 V8
Cincinati, OH
YYC_Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YYC_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Jinhe&Me Jinhe&Me wrote:

...have learned is any or all or perhaps none of the below:
- not enough weight on the hitch
- too much weight on the hitch
- WDH tension bars too tight
- WDH tension bars too loose
- TV and Pod need different shocks
- Air bags required
- Think about a longer wheel based vehicle
- Ensure the front of the trailer is at least 1" below the back end (trailers should not be level)
- Trailers must be level - ignore those who tell you otherwise...

LOL - This forum and others are great resources - but you hit it on the nail.  The more you read, the more confused you can wind up!
For the record I'm pulling with a Rav4, using a WDH, with the trailer level.  I get a little bounce, but nothing like it sounds like you've experienced!
I've considered taking my pod on the trip you did but frankly was a little intimidated by the grades - a little reassured to know someone else did the trip with a similar TV!
Good Luck!

RPOD 171
Go FLAMES GO!
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 11:23pm
I agree, it seems the more you read the more illusive the answer becomes. Simular to coloring, as a child the more colors I had available, the harder it was to choose one.
But, in all honesty, those that know, or those that believe their procedure, product, or belief is the answer, the less they want to share that. Usually this is a result of learning the hard way (by doing, experimenting, trying different methods) and not wanting to give that away for nothing.
This forum is "unlike" most others Ive visited to find "answers" to my questions/inquiries about anything.
No one gets paid here. Everyone here is willing to suggest methods, refer to products/procedures, and help with part #s and names, share notes and experiences, only to mention a few.
Gee, isnt life grand when ya get to share it with someone who can appreciate it !!!
I think it is ! And this forum is a shining example  ..... Good for Us !!!Thumbs Up
dogipod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogipod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 11:44pm
We have a little bouncing on some highways (not all) or with some trucks (not all) passing us.  It's not to the point where it's scary, but we know we're "towing".  Most of the time, it's just fine and we don't notice the trailer at all.  We are towing with a Rav4 with a sway controller but no WDH. 

We called our local RV repair shop and they said we shouldn't need a WDH with our trailer weight.  They said they could put one on but we'd be wasting our money (?).  We've researched the WDH thoroughly and are still entirely confused whether we should use one or not.  Since the bounce is not to the 'scary' point yet and instead just seems a little 'bumpy' at times, we're going to take a few more trips to decide if it really bothers us enough or not.  
Jinhe&Me View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinhe&Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 12:02am
YYC - I would give the trip a try.  I didn't sleep for days before the trip with visions of a blown transmission, creeping up hills at 40k or the fear of not being able to stop on the descents.  Going down into Radium, I had no problems with the 7, 8 & 11% descent.  Plus a herd of bighorn sheep pulled out right in front of me on one descent and I had to stop and wait for them to pass.  Not a problem at all.  I then had myself convinced I would never make it back up that 11% grade.   Well there was nothing to it and I even passed someone on the way up those hills.  My temperature gauge never budged from normal and I kept the RPMs at 3500-4000 on the ascents by shifting down to 2nd or 3rd.  I am heading back that way in July to camp in Kimberley.

Podpatrol - I know this is the place to go for info.  I am one of the addicts that checks in at least several times of day!!  And what I have learned has already saved me a lot of grief.  I love the people here and hope that no one thinks the conflicting info came from this group.  I didn't find anything on my particular bouncing problem here so made the mistake of going out into google land and getting completely confused. I should have known better.  Lesson learned! 

But one thing does resonate with me and that is loading the trailer heavier at the front.  I travelled so light and then spread out that small amount of weight equally.  I am going to try positioning a heavier load at the front and go for a little cruise on the highway.  Maybe even put a little water in whatever tank sits ahead of the axle.

One way or another, I have to figure it out my bouncing situation as my daughter and I had so much fun, we want to do a lot more camping.

R-Pod 176
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic