r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bike Rack Receiver Failures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike Rack Receiver Failures
    Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 2:57pm
I have seen two topics now with bike rack receiver failures and I  became concerned about our spare tire rack. 
The picture that George posted here
http://www.rpodnation.com/bike-rack-problem-update_topic1465_post17020.html#17020
is different than the receiver for the spare tire holder we have on our 177 shown here:

And the tag by our hitch says it has a capacity of 150 pounds where George says his has a 250 pound limit.  Obviously there has been a change to the design of the receiver mounting.  With the top and bottom gussets on mine I will take it over what I see in George's picture any day.  I also feel there is a safety problem with the newer design failing completely and causing some major problems if it becomes detached from the trailer with a bike or two on the rack while in traffic. 
If I were going to be considering using a bike rack with the design like George's I would contact Forest River and discuss this issue with them before proceeding.

Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 3:33pm
Sandpiper - The spare tire rack on my 177 has the same gusseted receiver you have. However, the label definitely says 250 pounds (I just went outside and doublechecked).

I just got my pod a couple of weeks ago and its a 2011. Is yours a 2010 or 2011? I wonder if there was some kind of change made between the 2 model years. Maybe there are some structural differences with yours back where it attaches to the frame. I can't tell in the picture.

The receiver on mine "T's" off a 1-1/2" square stock on the rear (the same square stock where the stabilizers attach. And it has full gussets (top and bottom) from the bar stock to the receiver opening. Like I said, that area of yours looks identical to mine.

Maybe they just ran out of 150 pound warning labels and used some 250 pound labels they had lying around <LOL>.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 5:45pm
I believe that Sandpipers and ours are the 2010 177 model.
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 9:09pm
You are correct Podpatrol.  Ours is a 2010 model.  I feel there has been more of a change than just changing the weight limit tags or some receivers are not installed the way ours are because I didn't see any gussets on the one George posted and it looks like the receiver was welded to the bottom of the cross tube rather than butt welded to it (teed into it).
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 9:12pm
I installed a Swagman XP2 tire-mount bike rack this weekend and removed it about 15 minutes later.  After adding a bike and giving it a bounce test by pushing up and down on the spare tire, it was clear to me that I was in for a world of pain if I stuck with it.

Although I came up with a different approach (here), I'm interested in seeing Forest River's bike carrier and how they dealt with this problem.  Has anyone got a picture of their "official" bike carrier?
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 9:33pm
I got my SWAGMAN at Camper world. I took my tire off and put in under the couch in my 173. The bike rack fits where the tire carrier was. You need to check and see if your bike rack is rated for a travel trailer. Most are not, but the swagman single arm that holds 2 bikes is. No problems as of yet. I researched  (bikes for travel trailers) on the internet. Some of them said do not use on the back of a trailer. Cost was 115.00
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 9:40pm
Does anyone know why one carrier is rated for a trailer and another is not?
Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 9:49pm
tabkld93,

Has to do with the load rating of the hitch on a trailers and the amount of bikes(weight) on the carrier.    Bike carriers are designed for class 1, 2,3 or 4 hitches.   The ones for class 1 hitches only allowing two or 3 bikes so they don't put much stress on the hitch.     A few of class 1 bike carriers I have found have said they could be used on a back of a trailer.   But those have generally only been two bike versions.  The larger class 3&4 ones are usually to heavy and allow to many bikes to be mounted to make them safe to put on a low weight carrying hitch like those on the back of most trailers.    For example from what I could find the Swagman 2 bike carrier works on class 1/2/3 hitches and is rated for back of trailers, while their 4 bike carrier says it wants a class 4 hitch and is not rated for back of a trailer.
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 10:04pm
If you go down the list here, you can see that most hitch mount bike carriers want a class 2 or 3 hitch.
Since the hitch on the back of some of the pods is listed as 250lb rating, and that puts it half way between the 200 rating of a class 1 and 300 rating of a class 2.   I would treat it as a class 1 hitch and only use bike rack/loading made for a class one hitch. 

P.S. find it odd that some of the bike racks say they can be used on a class 1 hitch, but only if you carry one bike.  And they require a class 2 for two bikes.

George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 10:33pm
Hi, I'm Dotty - George's wife - using his good name to take a stab at posting info. on the bike rack that Forest River told me was "developed especially for the R-Pod."  It holds a max. of 100#, and it's the only rack they stand behind.  The cost is $150, with 7% sales tax and additional for shipping.  I spoke with Susan Thornberg at 574-642-3119, ext. 205.  Her email is sthornberg@forestriverinc.com. 

The bikes mount parallel to the RPod.  The first bike is attached on the inside edge of the diagonal bars, closest to the RPod.  The 2nd bike must face the opposite direction and is attached on the outside edge of the diagonal bars.   I'll see if I can upload the PDF file that has install instructions, but I'll do it on a separate message. 

Couches put us in touch with Dave Bice at Lippert (866-524-7821 / DaveBi@lci1.com).  He agreed to pay for the bike repairs and the welding fix for their hitch.  We're meeting with a welder tomorrow.  He wants to see the RPod and see if Lippert's suggested welding fix will work before he agrees to do the job. We'll keep you posted!

I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic