r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bike Rack Receiver Failures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 10:40pm
The PDF file that we have that describes Forest River's bike hitch for the RPod is 505KB - too large to upload.  I'm sure that if you email Susan Thornberg (sthornberg@forestriverinc.com) and ask for the file, she will send it to you. 

I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 10:47pm
From the picture looks like a Highland Sportwing 2 Bike Hitch rack.   Doubt it was designed specifically for forest river, but I could be wrong.   If it is the Sportwing two its been on the market for quite a while.   Would be interested to see the manual, so see if it is the sportwing.   Available from $99 -> $150 online from Kmart, Uhaul, sears, walmart, etc.
http://www.cargogear.com/infolib.aspx?lookup=HISWING2A&image=hiswing2aRackBjpg
Best picture I could find is above.
George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 11:20pm
That looks like it.  The PDF calls it a Highland Steel Sport Wing Bike Carrier #1370100.

I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 11:43pm
Ahh, so its the cheaper of the two sportwings:
$94.95 from etrailer
$99 at kmart
$89.99 at sears (on sale from $99)
(search for "Highland STEEL SPORTWING 2 BIKE CARRIER " on sears.com, their link is to long)

P.S. not sure how long this is good for but use coupon code at checkout at sears for another $5 off.   SEARS5OFF50
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 9:08am
Thanks for all this.  Taller Half is calling Susan today and we will "update" our bike rack!
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 9:31am
I (Dotty) am always the cautious one.  Before buying a rack that appears to be identical to the one Forest River sells, I'd check with both Forest River and Highland to verify it is identical and that there would be no warranty issues.  Susan did say it was designed specifically for the RPod. 

But, I like saving money, too . . . $50 plus shipping adds up. 
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 11:01am
Since the links above are to models with the same name and model of as provided in the PDF and the photos look exactly the same,  I would bet my trailer its the same exact model.    
wbillar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbillar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 1:04pm
I bought a 4 bike rack from target several years ago and it fits either the big or small receiver (cost about $100).  I've used it on my trucks for years and removed the adapter (to use with smaller receiver), in place of the spare tire-which I've mounted on the tongue of my 171.  It's worked great so far, there are pictures on facebook.  We plan to attend the round-up and I intend to take the bikes.  I should mention I've never carried more than two bikes and don't think I'd want to carry four for long distances. 
Bill
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 9:05am
Originally posted by George George wrote:

The PDF file that we have that describes Forest River's bike hitch for the RPod is 505KB - too large to upload.  I'm sure that if you email Susan Thornberg (sthornberg@forestriverinc.com) and ask for the file, she will send it to you. 

George (and all)...I thought you would get a kick out of this.  Susan was very kind to respond to Taller Half's email question...if we purchase the exact same part (bike rack) from another source will that invalidate our warrenty...she said no.  Then she was very kind to send us information on the bike rack FR uses and recommends...but this was at the end of the PDF file!

WARNING:

DO NOT USE THIS BIKE CARRIER ON A TRAILER OR 5th WHEEL R.V.

Improper mounting will void the rack warranty.

Damage to bicycles or rack due to ground clearance problems are not covered by warranty.

In all fairness...we did send her this and are waiting for her reply...just thought it was pretty funny  LOL
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 11:36am
Ellen,
Your information is in conflict with what they told us.  When we asked it they would cover the warranty after our bike rack adapter broke they asked us if we were using their bike rack and when we said NO they said they would NOT cover the warranty.  However, their supplier of the bike rack adapter IS covering the warranty.  We have had the adapter re-welded and beefed up and the supplier is paying for it plus the damage caused to the bikes.  I will post pictures on the Bike Rack Problem thread when I get a chance.

I think the statement "DO NOT USE ON A TRAILER" is kind of interesting.  Perhaps they meant a utility trailer?
George
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic