r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little sway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 10:02am
I also have the equalizer E-2 system around 300-400$. My only problem is I forget my r-pod is behind me. I don't  get uptight when a truck passes me. The e-2 will make for an enjoyable towing experience, I would not leave home without it. I am a single woman and it is easy to take on and off, and you can back your r-pod with it on. Gives me a peace of mine. Won't leave home without it! towing vehicle 2009 hyundai Santa Fe 6 cylinder.
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 1:33pm
Another thing to consider...If YOU are the CAUSE of an accident and YOU cause damage or injury to another person, you can be sure insurance companies and attorneys will be looking for negligence and a lawsuit.  A WDH and sway control is no guarantee it WON'T happen, but it could help prevent an accident and possibly a lawsuit.  The extra peace of mind and the safety of you, your family, and everyone on the road is PRICELESS.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 2:29pm

The fact is that the R-POD is rarely ever going to be close to 9-10% of trailer weight on tongue, which iis at the bottom of what is considered safe.  And even at that there are so may variables (how slick is the road, wind, variable loading, water in tanks, how much the kids ate for dinner, tire tread, vehicle wheelbase, vehicle weight, etc) that its impossible to say that any one configuration will ever have severe enough sway problems to cause an accident.

That being said I have sway control on my trailer for the same reason I wear a life vest when I am out fishing in my boat on a river.   I don't wear the life vest beacuse I have a habit of sinking the boat or rolling the boat over.   I wear the life vest because  I want to be prepared to survive the one time I do.   Everyone assesses risk/costs differently.   I tend to be a bit paranoid about risk averting when it comes to my family.   So like yizit says, the peace of mind often it worth the price.  
catken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 4:03pm
OK guys and gals. There seems to be a number of different sway bars and  range in prices. I'm sure that the 3 or 4 hundred dollar ones are better than say the 1 hundred one. My question is which one is the most bang for the buck and by the way, its still raining and my r-pod seems to be holding its own.  Ken
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 7:55pm
     We bought the equalizer hitch and we only had 5" of ground clearance under the hitch we were told that would be unsafe the dealer told us to return it . They have a rule it should be no less than 7".  If we had the 4" lifters from Forest River it would not have been a problem. I agree if you can find a WDH that fits buy it, but with the RPod is so low it is difficult to find one.     David
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
catken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 8:53am
David:   The consensus seams to be to install a sway bar. Why don't the r-pods come with then installed. Do the dealers carry them and how much. Anyone can jump in.  Ken
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 9:32am
Originally posted by catken catken wrote:

David:   Why don't the r-pods come with then installed. Do the dealers carry them and how much. Anyone can jump in.  Ken

R-pods don't come with them already installed because a) they aren't required by law, b) not everyone wants one, c) they're pricey, d) some people already have one they used on a previous TT, and e) they aren't "one size fits all". Some people also want (or need) a WDH and they'd rather have a WDH that also incorporates sway control.

But it's not just R-pods. No RV travel trailer comes from the factory with sway control installed.

Dealers do carry them. That's where I got mine. I paid $599 for my e2 equalizer which is a WDH that also incorporates sway control into the design. You can find them cheaper than that. Mine is a 1,000 lb/10,000 lb model that I can use if I ever get a heavier TT but they make smaller models that cost less.

If you only want the sway control w/o the WDH, you can get a friction sway control for around $125 to $150.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 9:38am
Some of the forum members are very passionate and very vocal about sway control and weight-distributing hitches.  I respect their opinions, but I'll offer you a different one: personally, I don't have either sway control or a WDH on my r-pod and I don't need it.  My r-pod tows like a dream.  I don't experience sway, even when passed by a tractor trailer going down a hill in a strong crosswind.  I never white-knuckle drive while towing my r-pod.

I encourage everyone to make their own decision about sway control and WDH.  If you're unsure, speak with a trusted friend or a trusted professional.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
HerbL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HerbL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 11:55am
We have a 2008 Colorado Z71 and tow a 171. Couch's recommended no WDH or sway bar. We have towed about 3,000 miles with no problems.
The Z71 has a lot of ground clearance, so we ordered out 171 with the 4 in risers. When we left Couch's the R-Pod was level to the ground.
If your R-Pod is higher at the front, that is your problem. UHaul or other trailer supplier can fix you up with the correct hitch to level your trailer.You should fix this before getting a sway bar. If you have loaded a lot of weight in the rear, you should check the tongue weight.
If I were you, I would check these two things before getting a sway bar which will mask the problems.

catken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 3:32pm
I put  a lower hitch on today and eyeballed it. It seems to still be a little high in the front. Although it swayed less it was still there. I am afraid if I drop it anymore as  the chains and everything else will start dragging. If I was to go with that 4" lift, would it not lower the front. In any event how spendy is this lift kit as I agree with you that I need to find the problem before I can fix it.    Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic