r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little sway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 4:58pm
     Our new Liberty with the tow package included ( TSC )  Trailer Sway Control. It is sort of like Electronic Stability Control it works the brakes automatically to control severe sway from a trailer. We hope we never need it or how well it works, but it is good to know we have some added safety. On the Jeep web site they give a little automated video demonstration. We were told with the WDH they have weight limits a minimum and maximum for tongue weight and trailer weight. We were only able to find a few that would match the RPod considered a lite weight trailer. Does anyone know the importance of that?  I agree with the answer to the swaybar question why they are not a part of the trailer from the manufacture. And I read some place they shoud not be used in slippery conditions such as ice. We will never have the perfect set up for towing everyones towing circumstance is different. WDH and swaybars are safe to have if possible or practical. Some day or maybe now they have electronic swaycontrol built into trailers. We want to do our best to avoid accidents and keep everyone safe.      David and Danette
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
chancewilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chancewilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 1:35pm
I have done some research and it sounds like I am going to purchase the Equalizer
I can't handle the sway.
Tomcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 11:06am
We have the E2 WDH with integral sway control. 06 GMC Envoy and 2010 RP177. Tows just a bit lower on tongue. Plenty of semis and thousands of km. in mountains and bumpy railroad tracks... Pod never sways the two vehicles move as one. As many said: not leave home without it. Hope this helps. Tom
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 6:30pm
I agree with Outbound; a properly loaded trailer should not sway.  My 172 came with a friction bar; which I put in the shed after my first trip.  To much sway means too much weight in the rear of the trailer. Never had a problem with sway after proper weight distribution.  Everyone has their own opinion of course; but here in the Atlanta area; if you are going less than 80 MPH you are getting a ticket for blocking traffic ! I regularly tow my RPOD at 80-85 MPH on the Interstate.... 
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 11:11am
Originally posted by GaRedneck81 GaRedneck81 wrote:

I agree with Outbound; a properly loaded trailer should not sway.  My 172 came with a friction bar; which I put in the shed after my first trip.  To much sway means too much weight in the rear of the trailer. Never had a problem with sway after proper weight distribution.  Everyone has their own opinion of course; but here in the Atlanta area; if you are going less than 80 MPH you are getting a ticket for blocking traffic ! I regularly tow my RPOD at 80-85 MPH on the Interstate.... 

I hate ATL traffic.

As a note.. "ST" tires, "special trailer" are rated for sustained speeds not to exceed 65mph.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic