r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little sway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A little sway
    Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 4:57pm
Picked up my r-pod today.When going down the freeway, I noticed a little sway back and forth. I hope this does not mean sway bars. Could this be do to the camper not riding level. The ball does need to be dropped a couple inches or is there  something else that could cause this   Thanks  Ken
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 5:38pm
       I have read it helps to have the trailer ride a little low in front. You can take your bathroom scale and try weighing the tongue weight of your trailer. It could be, which is often the cause of sway the tongue weight is to lite. It should be 10- 15 % of loaded trailer weight. I found out in part the cause of sway in towing our 171 was the tires on our tow vehicle had to much give in the sidewalls. We changed wheels and tires to a low profile tire, it made a big differance. That would be a last result change it is costly. A sway bar is not that expensive that will help.         David
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 8:26pm
The front of the trailer should be slightly lower or level.  We are big believer in sway control, so I would suggest getting one just for the peace of mind and safety of you, your family, and everyone else on the road.   
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 12:48am
Check your tongue weight when loaded (as David said, you'll be looking to have 10-15% of your total trailer weight on the tongue).  When loading your trailer, make sure to spread the weight evenly side-to-side too.  Finally, make sure to check your tire pressures - I've found that a difference of just 2 pounds side-to-side can cause sway.

And, don't fret using a sway bar.  If you've done all the above and still need one, please use one.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
catken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 6:27am
Thanks for all the info. Knowing nothing about sway bars, I have a couple of questions. Are these the bars that go on the truck or on the camper? Are they easy to install and who is a good manufacturer.  Thanks   Ken
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 7:16am

Before investing in sway bars I would suggest that you follow some of the advice about proper loading of the trailer. The dealers tend to put everything in the pass through adding too much weight to the back of the trailer causing the sway.

From a previous post you mentioned that you are driving a Colorado with the Z71 towing package. This is the same configuration we have and we have not had any problems with sway. The longer wheelbase of the extended cab makes towing quite stable. Our only problem towing with the Colorado is that at times it is underpowered and we have to drive very slowly up steep grades.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
catken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 8:34am
Peggy  Most definitely, I have a lower hitch that should drop it to level at which time I'll try it again .I'll try all your recomendations before I buy any addons.
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 8:41am
You may want to check out this thread.  
from the above thread
QUOTE I have been towing a r-pod for nearly a year with a Jeep Liberty without a weight distributing hitch ane have had sway problems with it.  Finally around two weeks ago I ended up doing nearly $7000 damage to the Jeep when the r-pod began to sway coming down a hill and I could not control it. .QUOTE

A little Sway can cause a lot of damage.

My two cents.  Since I have what some would call a small vehicle (Nissian frontier 4cyl),  I have an equalizer hitch.  Only once over that last year have i had a little sway (huge pothole had to change lanes VERY quickly),  but the way resolved itself within feet.  

I think of it this way, I have a 2 1/2 ton Water Buffalo pulling a 2 ton Whale by the tongue.  I want all the control I can get.

Safety First
Happy Podding
LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 8:59am
Lee...thanks for this visual...water buffalo meets whale!  After are third trip over the Memorial Day Weekend, and not being happy (or relaxed) with our towing experience, I continue to try different things.  Many have shared that a WDH is NOT recommended for our 2007 Honda Pilot 4WD.  So...I finally called the company that manufactures the friction sway bar we have been using.  The nice man reminded me that the sway bar does not prevent sway, only corrects it.  He then went over the proper fitting and tightening of the bar with me.  I still want to change the bike rack we are using on the back of the pod, load the spare tire in the front, inside of the pod and put some fresh water in the tank at home before we head out to give us more wieght on the tongue.  We did a tire pressue check and fill on both the Pilot and the Pod before we headed out last time and we still had more sway that I would have liked.  Perhaps I am expecting too much.  We have only driven a class C in the past.  Maybe what I am experiencing is normal but I sure can't relax when I tow and I do all the driving!
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 9:32am
Here's my 2 cents:

99% of the time you may find that your trailer will track nicely behind your TV, with maybe just a bit of sway when a semi passes you. But there's that 1% of the time sitting out there where sway control could prevent an accident. Maybe it's a hard panic stop. Maybe an emergency maneuver to avoid an accident. Or maybe just going downhill as Nanday posted last month about his experience:

"I have been towing a r-pod for nearly a year with a Jeep Liberty without a weight distributing hitch ane have had sway problems with it.  Finally around two weeks ago I ended up doing nearly $7000 damage to the Jeep when the r-pod began to sway coming down a hill and I could not control it.  I am now placing a cam high performance sway control hitch and weight distribution system on the trailer/low vehicle.  Hope that will stop the swaying that I have had since I bought the unit."

Over the years, I've pulled a popup tent camper, a 32' travel trailer, and now the Pod. I would not pull a trailer without sway control and a WDH. I may never need it . . . but I might.  I've never heard of any situation where sway control was harmful, only that it may or may not be necessary. Has anyone heard differently? So why take a chance? It's like your auto insurance. You buy it hoping you will never need it.

Even if you never find yourself in a situation where the sway control is necessary, the benefit you will get is that your drive will be more relaxing and comfortable (especially if you combine the sway control with a WDH). No more gripping tight on the steering wheel when a semi passes. No more "porposing" (if you use the WDH) when you go over a dip or railroad track. No more fear you're going to look over your shoulder and see your Pod in the other lane <g>. Just a nicer drive altogether.

I have an E2 equalizer hitch. I have no idea how my TV would handle my Pod without it because I never pulled the Pod without it. I learned long ago the value of an antisway/WDH and had Couch's install it when I took delivery of the Pod. Without it, I wouldn't leave home with the Pod behind me.

IMHO, if you're not using sway control, you've set yourself up for a serious situation of the "tail wagging the dog".

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic