r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Channel over slide out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Channel over slide out?
    Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 8:11am
catken made a post on a different thread concerning water getting in through the slide out.  It got me to thinking (which usually spells trouble Confused) about the little channel over the slide out that resembles the channel attached to the side of the r-pod that the r-dome slides through.  I was wondering if Forest River has a product like a tarp that goes into the channel that would then cover the slide out.  I checked the Forest River website and found nothing.  I think it would be an awesome modification that my wife is totally capable of making and I will talk to her about it when she wakes up.  But, in the mean time, does anyone know anything about that little channel over the slide out?  Like, why is it there?

George
I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 8:43am
George - There was a thread a month or two back where that was discussed. At that time, at least, it was determined that there was no aftermarket awning available. We discussed the possibilities of fabricating one but, as far as I know, that's as far as it went.

If you or your talented wife come up with something, let us know. Perhaps she could go into the Pod slideout awning manufacturing business. I know I'd be interested in one.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 1:10am
Here are some photos of a slide out cover my wife made.

We are using the same suction cups that we used on the r-dome.

Water proof nylon fabric was sewn around a piece of rope and inserted into the channel.

Extra reinforcement around the grommets.

I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:37am
That looks really nice. My test of how well something is done is if it looks like it should be there, and this definitely does.

Let me get this straight: You got this idea yesterday morning while your wife was still asleep and she got it done while it was still light out for picture taking? Something like that would have taken me days. I am very impressed!
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 7:04am
George - Outstanding! You come up with the ideas and your wife implements them . . . what a team!

Is she interested in making any more of them?

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
LindiJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LindiJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 9:08am
Wow!  That is really clever!  Great job!
2010 R-172
2005 Ford Explorer
DH, Me and little pouch
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 9:18am
We don't even have a slide out but something like this makes me want to upgrade our tv and plan for a slide up next year Clap
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
msoctopus52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msoctopus52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 10:35am
A couple of months ago when this tread was brought up, Forest River's response was you could not  put an awning there. ??? This looks great and I don't see any reason why you couldn't do this? Does your wife have the plans or suggestions how we could do this?
Mary
Jeep unlimited
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 2:11pm
Great JOB,  Do you guys take requestsLOL.

Made myself a my little spare tire cover and now I see that I have NO talent at allEmbarrassed

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 3:46am
Thanks very much.  My wife is very talented and a very busy woman.  We were lucky with this slide out cover as we had some of this green nylon tarp left over from a different job she sewed up last year. 

The way she did it was to cut a length of 3/8" rope to the length of the channel.  Then, she wrapped the end of the fabric around the rope and sewed it in place.  She then cut and sewed in end pieces.  After that she slid it through the channel and measured where she wanted the grommets.  Sewed in the grommets and it was done.  I'm sure there are a few other steps that I'm forgetting but those are the essentials.

As far as taking requests - that's a tough one as she is very busy taking care of our son, me, my parents that are in their 90's that live with us, her own mother, and our home in the woods.  Again, you are right, my wife is the talented one but I'm the lucky oneWink.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic