r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Easy Stove Cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neadmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Easy Stove Cover
    Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 11:33pm

FYI,

For those who don't want to spend the money on the stove cover (though it looks really nice), and for those who are carpentry-declined, I made one today that looks pretty good.

I bought a TV tray from the local Walmart. (I bought the dark color as it comes pretty close to matching the cabinet color.  It only cost $8.50.

The top of it makes a nice cover.  I used the tray's "leg stablizer" which was about 10inches to cut 4 pieces of 2 inch lengths to be the "legs" for my cover.

I removed 1 of the 4 pieces of wood screwed to the bottom of the tray.

It fits over the stove nicely, already has rounded edges, is already stained and matches the cabinets pretty closely.

Easy project for under $10 and done in under and hour.
neadmo 2016 pod 179
takeabreath3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takeabreath3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 6:01am
what a neat idea!!  the mother of invention strikes again

peace and love, judy
Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safe in a pretty well preserved body, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up totally worn out, loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE
sunylove View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunylove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 7:42am
Thank you for the great idea. Can you show us some pictures?
Less space, less things, more life!
neadmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neadmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 11:21am

The first picture is of a TV tray I have in the house.  I tried to label it where I made cuts and the parts I used for the stove cover. I used the cross piece for the cover legs b/c its a bigger piece of wood than the tray legs. 

The 2nd pic shows the completed cover.  I assembled the legs w/ the board at the stove to make sure I put them in the right position.  I put a dab of wood glue on first to hold them in place.  I used inch and a half  deck screws.  I pre-drilled so as not to split the wood.  I used a drill bit the size of the screw head to make a small indentation on the top of the hole.  Just enough for the screw to go in flush w/ the top of the board.

I took off one of the small pieces of wood under the board b/c it was keeping the board from sitting evenly.  I may go back and move the other one out to the edge of the board and replace the one I took off putting it out toward the edge also. 

ALL DONE ! Big smile

neadmo 2016 pod 179
sunylove View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunylove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 12:51pm
Thank you very much. It's a really good idea:)
Less space, less things, more life!
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistahs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 1:03pm
Great job! It is on my list for my next trip to Wally World. Thanks for the super pictures and labels. Very clear. That is much appreciated.
2010 R-POD 171
2003 FORD F-150
GrandPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 1:10pm
 I made mine from a bamboo cutting board from Wal Mart. Measures 201/2 long by 14 1/2 wide. Added legs made from 1 x 2 and stained legs.
 I used a cutting board so that it would give more working space when doing dishes; and preparing meals.
 Note Peggy L.
As far as the warning labels; they are placed there for a reason. I am not the only person that will use my pod and I want them to be aware of the warnings.
 Tom

Tom And Linda
Rpod 177                      Southwest florida

Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 1:20pm
I wonder how long we'll own our pods before we take down those warning stickers?

We used the same cutting board only turned it upside down, added dowel rod legs and stained and polyurethaned it.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
neadmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neadmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 3:04pm
Cutting boards look really nice.  I was afraid if I used a cutting board.....it would get used as a cutting board by my better half Geek ....and I prefered it didn't.  I was afraid if used for cutting it would get stained, or smelly and not get cleaned soon enough like a cutting board is supposed to.
The cutting board I looked at, at Walmart cost about $18, made the $8.50 table even better for me.

I really like the cutting board look though too.

Atten Peggy L.    .... I should probably at least read those warning stickers before taking them down. Big smile

neadmo 2016 pod 179
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 3:13pm
I have no intention of using this as a cutting board. Otherwise we would not have stained it. I prefer to use plastic cutting boards because of that smelly, stained thing you mentioned. Yes. It was more expensive than the table. If we had thought of the table we probably would have gone that way.

Maybe someone should read all those warning stickers and tell us what they say.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic