r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NOAA Weather Radio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NOAA Weather Radio
    Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 8:09am
The tragedy at that campground in Arkansas last night should be a wake-up call and reminder for all of us to carry a NOAA weather radio in our pods. That includes me. I have one in my house and I used to carry one in my previous TT but I haven't thought about it for the circus wagon . . . until this morning. I'll be buying one today and it will become part of the permanent stuff we keep in our pod.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
ka9nyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ka9nyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 8:30am

I carry a Reecom R-1650 All Hazards Radio. Also includes an AM/FM radio plus dual alarm clock.

Not inexpensive (~ $70.00) but works really well, even in marginal signal areas.

Digital readout , digital tuner for AM/FM. I have one for house and camper, plus one for each of my daughters at their homes.

Dave & Rose
Chamberlain, SD
2010 R-177

DISCLAIMER: I have no relationship with the above company, other than as a satisfied customer.
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 8:55am

ka9nyn -

I was looking at the Reecom R-1630 model this morning. It's $57.99 on Amazon. It's like the one you describe. I think the only difference is that the 1630 doesn't have the AM/FM clock radio function which I don't need.

-- Steve

pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 9:48am
The NOAA Radio is absolutely necessary when traveling.  We were in a park in Florida a few years back without a radio.  Tornadoes hit about 40 miles north of us!!!  I will never let the husband talk me out of taking the radio again. Kentucky is now in tornado alley.  We left a day early from a park in late April because there were tornado warnings all around us.  Better safe than sorry, I say.
ERU attendees relax LOL.  Tornadoes are not so common in mid June, although anything can happen.  The people at Boonesborough are on top of the weather at all times.
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
tedbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 11:37am
I have a Midland WR-300 and have it programmed only for my home county and for selected alerts, which is not a good thing when camping.  I need to make sure that it's programmed for all types of alerts AND in the location I'm camping at.  I suppose I could just leave it set to the factory default when camping... or better yet have a separate weather radio that lives in the camper.
ka9nyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ka9nyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 3:08pm
Among the nice things on the Reecom, the radio will reset when it hears the tones at the end of the message, so you don't have to listen to the static noise after the announcement, but a colored LED alerts you to a message, and it stays lit until the warning/ watch , etc. has expired..

They also accept internal AA batteries for backup. Good for ~ 48 hours w/o external power. The 'wallwart' power supply is included.
Dave & Rose
Chamberlain, SD
2010 R-177 "ECM-Pod"
'08 Dodge RAM quad cab 5.7L 4WD "Rhino (re: F-4 Phantom)"
Exelon Nuclear (Retired)
US Army Corps of Engineers (Current)
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 3:09pm
I just ordered this Midland radio from Amazon:

I like it because it's small (1 x 2 x 5), broadcasts all hazard alerts (weather, civil emergencies, etc.), and automatically turns itself on when there's an alert thus saving battery life.

It doesn't have am/fm, a flashlight, a siren, or any other stuff . . . it's just an emergency radio which is all I need.

I also like the price . . . under $20.

-- Steve

ka9nyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ka9nyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 3:15pm
Nice radio, Steve.
I'm a gadget geek, so I tend to lean toward multifunction techie stuff.
Dave & Rose
Chamberlain, SD
2010 R-177 "ECM-Pod"
'08 Dodge RAM quad cab 5.7L 4WD "Rhino (re: F-4 Phantom)"
Exelon Nuclear (Retired)
US Army Corps of Engineers (Current)
tedbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 7:13pm
The Arkansas tragedy should remind us that a weather radio needs to wake you if you're sleeping, and while I also have a handheld weather radio for staying informed it's not a replacement for one with a siren.
penny-podding View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penny-podding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 7:52pm
My father-in-law is moving after nearly 50 years in his home. We were packing and transporting when the news of the flood came out. As we talked of our upcoming Kentucky/Niagara Falls trip, I said the next thing I buy is going to be a weather radio. He left the room and returned with a NOAA radio new in the box and handed it to me. What timing.
The Penny-Pod is on the road!
Penny & Russell
R-Pod 172
2006 Ford Expedition - Darth Vedar!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic