r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

prudence or paranoia - you make the call

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prudence or paranoia - you make the call
    Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 2:16pm
During a recent trip to a local lake with my 171, I was out on the water when my neighbors at the campsite left for home.  I returned to find the cover for my spare tire missing which was there earlier, and while it irked me that these losers would steal from me I was glad that was all they took.

That encouraged me to remove the spare tire which I now store beneath the bed, and it served as a reminder that not everyone is a decent person regardless of how friendly and folksy they appear.  Besides, I can now attach my bike rack where the tire was, so it's an even-better deal.

I have a locking battery box and a lock around the LP tank, and I would suggest that others do that if they haven't already.  Don't make it easy for low-lifes to steal your stuff, spoil your camping trips or cost you money.
Brin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 9:54pm

Censored on the thieves. 
Terri and Craig and Panzer
R-pod 175, 2009
2000 F250 XLT Extended Cab, Diesel
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 12:40am
It would be nice to think that all campers are kind and thoughtful beings looking out for each other. Unfortunately there is sometimes a bad apple in the basket. I'm glad you only lost your spare tire cover. We all need to be more careful and vigilant, thanks for the reminder.
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 9:28am
My theft concern is the receiver for our Prodigy wireless brake controller. It's mounted on the side of the trailer tongue with four 1/4" self-tapping screws so it would be easy to steal. It cost over $400 so I wouldn't want to have to replace it.  Fortunately, these controllers are relatively new so a lot of people don't know what they are. So far, we've been draping a dirty rag over it to hide it while we try to come up with a better solution.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
tedbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 10:39am
A number of us have bolted a locking utility box to the frame.  Mine is from Lowe's and holds two batteries.  The plastic is easy to drill for the holes you need, but drilling through the frame was tough - went through a few bits on that part.  A good weekend project that delivers a lot of peace of mind for the time, effort, and money required.  Foolproof, no, but a deterrent that would send the thief looking for an easier target.
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 10:42am
Thank you for sharing this idea.  I probably never would have thought to do something like this until the bad thing happened.  I pray it doesn't and I will plan for the possibility!
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 11:44am

The bad behavior of fellow campers, specifically their unattended children is why I converter the water tank filler spout over to one that had a locking door.    Did the same thing awhile back when I had a tent trailer as one day came back from a fishing trip and found someones child dropping rocks into my fresh water tank. 

If you are of the paranoid type you might want to also go back read threads about the cabinet locks.   http://www.rpodnation.com/topic754&OB=DESC.html
The locks on all of the storage cabinets for the R-pod and almost every RV made in the last 20 years have the same exact key.   So virtually anyone can unlock your storage cabinets.
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by gmandual gmandual wrote:

The bad behavior of fellow campers, specifically their unattended children is why I converter the water tank filler spout over to one that had a locking door.    Did the same thing awhile back when I had a tent trailer as one day came back from a fishing trip and found someones child dropping rocks into my fresh water tank. 

If you are of the paranoid type you might want to also go back read threads about the cabinet locks.   http://www.rpodnation.com/topic754&OB=DESC.html
The locks on all of the storage cabinets for the R-pod and almost every RV made in the last 20 years have the same exact key.   So virtually anyone can unlock your storage cabinets.
You know...this is what happened a couple weeks ago.  I lost my set of rpod keys.  Called the dealer and they got a new blank one for the door but when we went to pick it up and asked for another storage key, they just took one off the shelf of stuff for sale...said they were all the same...I said "WHAT??"
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by rpoders2 rpoders2 wrote:

You know...this is what happened a couple weeks ago.  I lost my set of rpod keys. 

As a precaution, I keep a backup set of Pod keys in the glove compartment of our TV. I also use locks on the receiver hitch and coupler so I also keep a spare set of keys for those there, too.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistahs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 1:39pm
How big a job is it to change to a locking door water filler?  Got any pictures? Thanks for the help!
2010 R-POD 171
2003 FORD F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic