r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Charging the R-POD's Batteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 9:20am
Just make sure your tow vehicle is wired up for charging your battery . I just found out that mine is not. So I use a 15 watt solar panel.
Ned
Rocket Pod RP-173
Miramichi, NB
2005 Ford Escape
gepaine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gepaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 11:49am
this_is_nascar,

That's a very good question, and I'm not sure why I wouldn't do that. Maybe it's a gut feeling that idling my tow vehicle for a few hours might be offensive to my neighbors. I think I would be irritated if a neighbor of mine did that. However, I would not be offended if I had to listen to a neighbor's quiet generator for a couple of hours. So why is running a tow vehicle any different? Maybe it's because using a quiet portable generator is an acceptable campground practice, and running your tow vehicle may not be. Maybe the tow vehicle would spew more obnoxious fumes, or be louder. I have to admit, it's tempting when renting a 1000 watt Honda costs about $100 per week, and buying one costs $699.

AND, the wiring from my tow vehicle to my R-POD is not heavy gauge, so I probably would not be able to charge the POD's batteries in just a few hours.

Also, solar is not really an option because I can't count on the campsite not being in the shade or that there will be sunny days. I also doubt that a small solar charger could keep up with our daily electric usage even though we are careful not to waste electric.
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT- Life is not just about gas mileage!
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 12:21pm
In many parks accross the northwest, idlelng of your vehicle without someone in the vehicle is not allowed and can get you a ticket as their are ordinances against it.   In man states its a $250+ fine.  Not to mention the difference in polution between a small generator runnig for 2 hours vs a vehicle.  

Personally I would find a good local honda generator dealer in your town, and take your tow vehicle and trailer down to the dealership.   And have them demo different generators for you.   Hook up a honda 1000 to your trailer, and power your trailer for 5-10 minutes.  Go inside, see how loud generator is while you are inside trailer  vs out.  See how hard a particular generator is to start, carry, fuel etc.    If they are a good dealer and want to make a sale they will spend the time with you.    Unfortunatly if all you have in town is "big box" stores and not real local honda generator dealerships with knowledgable staff, that might not an option.
tlsmit1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlsmit1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 11:21pm
Did you mount this on the rpod, or is it stand alone?  How well does it keep up?

Are any of you combining solar systems with rpods?   

Thanks!  tammie
Tammie and the fam

Rpod wanna be's
PUP Fleetwood Bayside, 2007
Honda Pilot 4WD 2010
tlsmit1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlsmit1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 11:22pm
Sorry -- still new to this.

I was trying to specifically reply to the post about using a solar panel with the rpod.
Tammie and the fam

Rpod wanna be's
PUP Fleetwood Bayside, 2007
Honda Pilot 4WD 2010
Ned View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 10:09am
This will charge even on cloudy days. We were out for 3 days a couple of weeks ago and still hsd a good charge at the end. You must use a solar charge controller with a 15 watt or larger panel. I use it proped up separate from trailer. It sure makes it nice when no 110 volts available.
Next time out will take some photos.
Ned
Rocket Pod RP-173
Miramichi, NB
2005 Ford Escape
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 8:59pm
There is a 15 Amp soar panel at Northern Tool and Supply specifically for charging 12 Volt batteries for $ 99.00. No additional equipment needed, so they say. My Honda 1000 has a dc plug and hookup also for charging a battery. No separate battery charger needed; or you just plug the Pod 30 amp cord in and it will charge. I love the Honda 1000 because it is so quiet, I put it about 20 feet away and box it in with three pieces of cut plywood; and hardly hear it.

Good luck.
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 9:04pm

GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 9:24pm
Right, don't know were Amps came from. The box says you don't need a contoller, not me. I'm sticking with my generator. Love that fossil fuel.
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
Ned View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 8:57am

I use a 15 watt solar cell with a regulator. I have never ran out of power for a weekend plus 2 or 3 days. I also us a 1.5 watt solar cell to keep my battery up during the winter months.

Ned
Rocket Pod RP-173
Miramichi, NB
2005 Ford Escape
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic