r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air Conditioner Power Usage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Conditioner Power Usage
    Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 11:26pm
I have a 1000 watt generator that I bought several years ago when we had a tent trailer.  The generator was sufficient to power the tent trailer's little air conditioner and charge its battery.  Now that we've moved up to our 2009 RP171, I bring the generator when we're dry camping to recharge the battery (its more that big enough to charge batteries).  However, our recent trip to Ft Boonesborough and the unusual high heat/humidity has me thinking that I might like to upgrade to a larger generator.  We've got a couple of dry camping trips planned this summer, and we may get similar weather; I'd really like to have the option of running the A/C if it gets really hot/humid.

So... how big of a generator to buy (or how small of a generator can I get away with)?  This evening, I brought out my Blue Planet Electronic Energy Meter and plugged in our r-pod.

First reading, the steady state: battery fully charged, fridge on propane, water heater on propane, all lights off, air conditioner off, microwave off (but plugged in), tv off (but plugged in):

Second reading, under load: battery fully charged, fridge on propane, water heater on propane, all lights off, air conditioner on, microwave off (but plugged in), tv off (but plugged in):

Third reading, peak load using the energy meter's ability to capture the peak (maximim) energy usage as the fan and compressor start up: battery fully charged, fridge on propane, water heater on propane, all lights off, air conditioner on, microwave off (but plugged in), tv off (but plugged in):

Steady State - 7 watts - 0.06 amps
Under Load - 1152 watts - 9.64 amps
Peak Load - 1210 watts - 10.50 amps

I was pleasantly surprised at the results.  A 2000 watt (2200 watt peak) generator may be in my future...
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 11:49pm
Good to know. Thanks for the info :)

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 3:29pm
At the minimum, a 2400-watt genny.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 4:54pm
Another very informative post Outbound !! Man, you got alot of kewl stuff !!!
happy_camper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happy_camper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 9:31pm
I bought a Yamaha 2000 when we picked up our trailer last week.  I mainly got it to recharge the battery if needed but was faintly hoping it would run the AC.   Sadly it would not start up the air when I tried it.  In hindsight there may have been a couple of other things drawing small amounts of juice that I should have shut off.  I may test it again but don't have my hopes too high.  On a side note...we were glad to have it last weekend when all the small town gas stations were closed for Sunday and we ran out of gas.  The gallon of gas in the generator was just enough to get us to a stationBig smile
dogipod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogipod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 10:19pm
We got a Honda 2000ei companion model generator.  Our first trip out, we tested out the A/C (nothing else running or plugged in), and it ran fine for about an hour (turning on/off several times according to the thermostat).  We were very happy and cool! Cool

This past weekend, we tried it out again, 90deg and humid out, it kept shutting off after about 2 minutes running.  We couldn't figure out why and tried again and again (unplugging everything and testing fan only first, setting it to 85deg first.. etc).  Nothing worked.  Our A/C just wouldn't work with the generator this time.  So strange!  All we can think is that our battery wasn't fully charged (2/3 only) so maybe that was drawing too much at the same time?? Disapprove

Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 10:57pm
A few possibilities come to mind:
- I have a 2009 RP171 made in December of 2008.  There may be differences in the models/specs of the equipment installed on everyone's r-pods.  Some air conditioners may require more power than others.
- A starting capacitor may be required to accommodate the initial surge as the fan and compressor start.  This surge should have been captured by my power meter... but I'm not offering a money-back guarantee if it turns out to be wrong.
- Generators ramp-up power production as required.  The time lag as this happens may cause trouble for the A/C.  Turning off 'eco' mode on the generator may help.  Additionally, if your model supports it, turning the fan from 'auto' to 'on', and then letting it run for 30 seconds before turning on the A/C may help (leave the fan 'on')
- There may be other power loads that have to be taken into account.  dogipod makes an excellent point about the converter.
- Generator naming conventions are... optimistic?  For example, the Honda EU2000iA and the Yamaha EF2000iS are capable of producing 1600 watts continuously with a 2000 watt surge.  A Yamaha EF2400is is capable of producing 2000 watts continuously with a 2400 watt surge.

Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 7:38am
Yep, the EF2400iS is the one I have and it runs the air just fine.  I always go to fan 1st for a few seconds, then to max-air.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 9:03am

Excellent post, some good numbers we can all work with.

I want one of those meters too. That thing is sweet.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 7:34pm
I have a Honda2000i  and it would not run the a/c while at the ERU.  The generator would die when the compressor kicked on, but would run fine with just the fan.  wE BOONEDOCKED at couple of time and ran the FANS (have extra 110 fans) and it ran over six hours no problem.  We were ok, but would have like the A/C.

Once Alex Bans of weather pass (by this weekend), I'll do some testing.  Maybe if I flip some of the switches and make sure everything is off.  Several of you have noted that the battery was charged.  Why does that fall in the mix??

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic