r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Hot Water Heater- Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Hot Water Heater- Help
    Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 8:29pm

I made the mistake (yes- I knew better) of turning on the electric hot water heater before checking to make sure there was water in the tank. Turns out I forgot to turn the bypass valves the right way from the winterizing process.

Well, after getting everything back the right way and filling the 6 gallon tank, we were fine on gas power, but no hot water when switching to electric. I figured I fried the anode rod, but John took that out and it looked fine- I thought it would look burned. Should I change it out anyway? Any other ideas about why I'm unable to heat on electric? (the fuse is fine and the switch is on)

Thanks, all!
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 8:40pm
I believe for the most part when the element is replaced then the "electric" function is again useable.
We did the same thing, and have the same problem. We plan on replacing the element as soon as possible. We hope that will solve this issue.
Ned View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 8:41pm
Hi John I would say you burned out the electric heating element.
Ned
Rocket Pod RP-173
Miramichi, NB
2005 Ford Escape
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 8:52pm
OK- after doing a search on the site for previous similar issues, I just realized there is a difference between the anode rod and the heating element- thanks...that answers my question. It is the element that will need replacement. That's one mistake I won't make again!
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Tusten Traveler Tusten Traveler wrote:

I figured I fried the anode rod, but John took that out and it looked fine- I thought it would look burned. Should I change it out anyway?

The anode rod is not the electric heating element.  The electric heating element is located immediately to the left of the anode rod under a metal cap/cover (on my unit, anyway - there may be manufacturing differences) and is also screwed into the tank in much the same way.  According to my suburban water heater manual, the part number for the "Electric Element with Gasket" is 520789.

Personally, I wouldn't bother replacing the electric element.  The gas option heats faster, it uses very little gas and is inexpensive to operate, and its easier to turn on/off from inside the trailer.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 9:05pm
Thanks, Outbound, for the part number! Actually, now that you mention it we did fine just on gas- and knowing it doesn't use much is reassuring. Maybe not worth it after all- although I just hate knowing someting needs repair and not getting it done. It will go on the "back burner" (pun intended).
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 9:50pm
I'm the same way Tusten .... telling someone that the WH works off Elec too, but currently isnt functioning, does sound rather lame .... LOL
George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 7:02am
I also have problems with not fixing something that's broke, and I like having options.  Often where we go camping electric hook-ups are available.  The electric hot water heater does take a few more minutes to heat up but when you are already paying for the electricity why not use it and save the LP for when boon-docking.Thumbs Up 

I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 11:15am
I agree ! I figure that the electric attempts to keep hot water hot, and the LP is for quicker recovery.
Mrs. 'Piper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs. 'Piper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 11:53am
I have to say that the water heater on the pod is very good at keeping water hot.  Carroll and I unhooked from electric at about 11 am one morning and then proceeded to Cades Cove (no hook-ups).  Around 8:00 pm he decided to turn on the propane to get it warmed up for showers.  It wouldn't light so he checked out everything he could think of to no avail.  Around 9:00 pm I decided to take a cold shower as it was HOT and I needed a shower.  I turned on just the hot water thinking maybe it would at least be warm.............wrong..............it was HOT.  The propane wouldn't kick on because the water in the water heater was still hot.  We thought that was a pretty good length of time to have the water stay hot.
Mrs. 'Piper (Anne)
Sandpiper (Carroll)
RPOD 177
Site #196 2011 Eastern Roundup
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic