r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air Conditioner Situation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Conditioner Situation
    Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 12:14pm
I was told to always start the air conditioner by starting with the high fan only for a minute before switching to AC.  I am not exactly sure why but perhaps it has something to do with the number of amps it draws.  So, the other day I'm napping in the r-pod with the AC on.   I did the prerequisite 1 min. high fan then, I switched to AC for about 10 minutes with it still on high.  After running it on high I switched to low and I could tell the AC compressor was still running just fine.  Then, the thermostat detected that the temperature had been reached and I could hear the compressor shut down but the fan was still on low.  After 15 minutes or so I heard the compressor try to start back up — it was very labored then, the circuit breaker kicked out.  Then, I remembered being told to always start with high fan first.  I flipped the circuit breaker back on, ran the AC again doing everything on high then switched to low and I had the same results.

So, my point in all this is, if it won't run on low why have a low position on the dial?   I suppose there is another explanation but for now it escapes me.  Any ideas?
I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic