r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mountain driving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mountain driving
    Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 5:29pm
Just came back from interior British Columbia,  I was a little skeptical on how I would manage through the sharp turns and 8% grade hill climbs with a v6.and r pod 176. Honestly wasn't even an issue, I kept up with traffic and even passed people when I needed,  The transmission shifted   to give the power I needed, I was very impressed with my 07 ford edge,AWD . Besides all that we had a blast camped over in Golden BC then off to the family cabin  at Little shuswap lake, for the rest of the weekend.
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistahs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 5:56pm
Sounds great. Wish I didn't have to wait two more months to take mine to the mountains. Hope my 6 cyl. Ford pickup will do as well. For sure we won't have any 8% grades in North Carolina. She pulls fine in the Florida "hills", but we will see how she likes the real hills. That Edge is cute!
2010 R-POD 171
2003 FORD F-150
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 5:27pm
i just got back form the North Carolina Mountains. No problem with my Hyundai santa fe V-6.  I was very pleased with how my tv handled the mountain grades. I think you will be fine.
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 10:42pm
Nice set-Up Al !!!

Glad you had a good/safe trip....
gdfaini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdfaini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 9:33am
Which v6 do you have in your Santa Fe?  2.7 or 3.3?  Do you have a transmission cooler?
Glenn
Hyundai Santa Fe <-> RP 173

sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 10:19am
Happy Towing, be safe out there.  
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 7:22pm
gdfani
 I have the 3.3l v6, and it came with a cooler. It did not come with the tow package.

Happy Podding
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
gdfaini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdfaini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by tdrace tdrace wrote:

gdfani
 I have the 3.3l v6, and it came with a cooler. It did not come with the tow package.

Happy Podding
Any idea what the "Tow Package" is?  My manual doesn't say and Hyundai doesn't seem to have a clue.  Whatever it is, tow capacity is only 2000 lbs without it.  I thought it was the trans cooler, which I plan to add.
Glenn
Hyundai Santa Fe <-> RP 173

tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 9:04pm
ClapGdfani! I found out what the tow package is on the 2009 Santa fe. I googled it.Smile The Santa Fe 3-3 Liter V-6 comes with a tow PREP package. It includes a transmission cooler,upgraded radiator, upgraded fans, trailer prewiring. It can tow up to 3500lbs. I had no idea thanks for making me look into it. I remember U-Haul said I did not need another cooler when they installed my hitch. I did not know enough to know what they were talking about then. Thanks to the forum I learn something everyday.Clap
I hope this helps, I have never had any problems towing my 173 and I am new to towing! I guess a got a better towing Vehicle than I thought, as I was not in the market to tow anything at the time. Talk about good karma.
 THANK YOU R-POD FAMILYClap I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU GUYSSmile HAPPY PODDING!!

Theresa, and Stone my Italian Greyhound =13lbs
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Jinhe&Me View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinhe&Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 12:00pm
Hey Al,

We are just about to make the return journey to Calgary from Kelowna.   Will head out tomorrow and overnight at the Canyon Hot Springs.  We went to Kimberley last week and then through Golden to Kelowna.  We had no problems with our V6 on the mountain grades so far.  I take the vehicle out of automatic and manually shift.   I rarely have to hit the brakes on even the steepest descents (11%).
R-Pod 176
2010 Nissan Pathfinder LE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic