r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

171 table

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 171 table
    Posted: 25 May 2009 at 7:59am

There are many things we like about the RPod , but so far what I like least is the table. A rating of 1 to 10 I would give it a 2 .  Why was particle board used its very heavy and it bows. The hinges are something from a dollar store. The hinges were constantly bending and at one time the table collapsed. Weight is important everything adds up, the lighter it is better the gas mileage and less stress on your vehicle. Our table top already had a large bow where it saged. For a few dollars more plywood would have been a better choice lighter and stronger. The hinges to could have been stronger better designed. I made changes a new hinge for one end and removed the leg on the other end. The end against the wall I made it possible to secure it to the wall while in use as a table and removeable to lay flat for traveling or as a bed. The bottom I screwed a brace to remove the bow. When I have more time I will change the top to birch plywood and formica.    David  Smile

SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 8:51am
   I do not want to sound to negative towards Forest River. Overall we like the RPod and I would rate it a high 8 out of a scale 1 to 10.  David and Danette  Smile
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 10:08am
All these flaws that people are finding is what happens when you buy a first year product.  The GOOD thing is that we have a place to make these short comings public.  This helps us out and I'm sure Forest River in this case, gets feedback so they can improve their product.  At least that is what we would hope for.  It depends on the bean counters at the corporate level.

Terry 
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 4:55pm
I agree with Terry.  I have the 174 and we leave ours setup as a bed all the time and just use the picnic tables.  How many people are actually using the table inside anyway? 

I mean, I see other campers with huge 5th wheels that prefer to use the picnic tables that are provided.

My two cents.
Let's hit the road!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 7:02pm
     We just got back from a 2 week trip it rained 9 days out of the 12 we were gone. It was nice to have the table to eat at inside out of the rain. Besides my wife sleeps late I get up early sometimes before its light out , eating inside is a little easier. But I do agree with you being a outdoor person myself it is much nicer to eat outdoors, that is one of the reasons I like camping. I agree with Terry it is a competitive market cutting costs is important. But I think in time you will see some changes to the table most likely the hinges. There is alot of good to be said about the RPod I think it is the best design that I have seen for a small RV and the overall quality is good.  David
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 4:50am
any chance you can change the hinges?  i haven't looked at it.
Let's hit the road!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 10:38am
These are my modifications I have made and Tennessee Pictures.
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 10:39am
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 10:41am
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 9:38am
Pretty cool modification.
Let's hit the road!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic