r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Product Alert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
etrailer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etrailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Product Alert
    Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 5:53pm
Greg,

Thanks for the write-up. That turned out pretty good.

Patrick
Zephyr-POD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zephyr-POD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 6:20pm
Hi Guys,

Ok, ok, ok ... so it took me a little longer than two weeks.  I've put together the "how-to" doc however.  Here is a link to the new thread: http://bit.ly/9zQPyt.

Greg

Greg & Melika :: 2009 Ford Escape :: 2011 r-pod 172

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zephyr-POD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 8:45am

Everyone loves a happy ending.  In this case (personally) I find it particularly satisfying.  J  I’ve spent the last couple of weekends going out, making adjustments, taking pictures and measurements.  In the end it was well worth the effort.

I learned several things in the process, and I hope to share my experience with others.  I’m going to put together a how-to doc (with pictures), and post it to its own thread.  Give me a week (or two) to put it together.

In the mean time, a special thanks to etrailer!  First, for listening in on our forum.  Second, for taking the time and having the patience to help work things out.  Cheers to you sir!

Greg
tturbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 12:58am
The website for eTrailer is very informative.  Thanks for posting this, eTrailer, it's very good.

I hope Zephyr's systems works out for him too.
Tess&Brad
R-Pod 173T
'07 Hyundai Sante Fe V6
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 12:20am
Thanks for the insight on WD.

Very good reading !
etrailer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etrailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 3:26pm
Hello All,

So I think we were able to nail down Zephyr-POD's hangup. As you all know these R-Pods are pretty light weight so that people with a whole variety of different vehicles can tow them. Well with Zephyr-POD's trailer and his Escape, he is right on the border line of needing weight distribution.

When he hooks up the trailer, dry, without the weight distribution the rear end of the Escape squats just a bit. Not a huge amount, but enough to where WD will help with ride quality. Now, when he hooked up his WD, again the trailer and Escape are un-loaded, the spring bars put enough tension on that they actually lift the rear end of the vehicle. Again it's not much, but that's why his trailer was riding nose up.

Now this whole time, the trailer was un-loaded. When he gets the cargo hold in the R-Pod filled and the cargo in the back of his Escape, everything should flatten out some.

If any of you are having similar problems, here's how to tell what's going on. Once you know what's going on, finding the solution gets much easier.

Wheel well measurements are integral to properly setting up your Weight Distribution. Measure from the top of the tire straight up till you reach the edge of the wheel well or fender. You can also measure from the ground. Do this with the vehicle un-loaded. Write down these measurements. This is your baseline. Load the trailer as if you were getting ready to head out for your trip with clothes, food, coolers etc. Hook it up to the vehicle. Take the measurements again. This will tell you how much the trailer is compressing the rear suspension.

The idea behind a WD system is to spread the load across the frame of the vehicle and put some of the extra weight over the front tires. Ideally you want the the front and the rear measurements to come down the same amount. If you are at 6 inches in the rear and 5 in the front, then after you load the trailer and hook up WD you are at 5.5 and 4.5, that means the weight was spread perfectly and both the front and rear came down 1/2 of an inch.

It does not have to be perfect like that, but if you hook up your WD system and your vehicle is still 4 inches nose up, than something else is wrong.

I have posted a link to a video of one our installers putting a system on a Ford E series van. Same principles and methods apply to these smaller kits, it's just on smaller scale.

tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 8:23pm
I am sure they will get it resolved for you. Best of luck with your pod. Check out the Carolina's Round up. We would love to have you come in September. Hope to see you!!!

Theresa
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zephyr-POD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 7:15pm
Hi Guys,

It's been a couple of weeks, so I thought I would post an update. Etrailer (Patrick) is still working with me. Last weekend he had me take pictures. We discussed the pictures throughout the week in email.  This weekend he had me take measurements.

He got back to me quickly last week, and I suspect he will again tomorrow. With any luck, the measurements will be telling and help us get to the root of the problem (and solve it).  I will update the thread as the issue develops.

LabRatICMP3 - I am encouraged to hear someone else has this system (even if not identical) working with their r-pod. It gives me hope that there is a solution out there, and that I won't be stuck with expensive paperweights. ;)

Greg
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 10:24pm
Thanks for getting back w/us Patrick !! We really appreciate it !
etrailer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etrailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 5:25pm
Just to update everybody:

Zephyr-POD took some pictures this weekend that have been really helpful. I'm waiting to hear back from him with answers to a couple questions but I think we're getting close to positively identifying the component that is causing the problem.

Once we do that, we can determine what solutions are available.

Patrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic