r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Product Alert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zephyr-POD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Product Alert
    Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 6:02pm

Hi Guys,

I purchased this weight distribution kit from etrailer.com: http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/66024.html.  According to its specs it’s perfect for towing an R-Pod.  Right? Wrong.  :|

Couch's service department spent about an hour trying to set it up last Friday.  I spent about three hours with it yesterday.  No amount of adjustment could get the spring bars high enough.

I spent a bunch of time on the phone and in email with etrailer.com.  Their response was eventually, "Yeah, it doesn't work for your trailer - send it back."  In the end, I will "only" lose about $30 for shipping, but after their sales person recommended it for my setup it's disappointing (to say the least).  :(

If any on this forum are considering this weight distribution system, I would recommend avoiding it.  You'll simply waste your time and money.

Greg
Greg & Melika :: 2009 Ford Escape :: 2011 r-pod 172
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 10:18pm
That's too bad, Zephyr.  The Reese unit has a great reputation.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 10:57pm
Couch's installed the E-2 Equalizer on my Hyundai Santa Fe. It works great, you may want to ask about this system. It is very easy to use as well. Best of Luck!
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 11:01pm
Thanks for the "alert" Zephyr !!!
QcGuY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QcGuY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 11:09pm
Stephan,Genevieve & Edouard(4 yrs) Ousset
Beloeil, Qc, Canada
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 1:24am

Just for future reference the "DrawTite Single Bar Weight Distribution System for A-Frames" model 3205 doesn't work with the R-POD's unless you move your propane tank.   The R-POD trailer's "A" is to wide so the cross bar level doesn't work with stock position of propane tank making it more trouble then its worth for most folks.    That being said I "am" using one only because it was given to me for free :-) from someone who had bought it for their popup and couldn't return it.  And as it turns out it works because I had removed the single propane tank and mounted my dual tank setup a bit differently.  But would put it in the NOT RECOMMENDEDED catagory for the R-PODS. 

David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 7:33am
    So what WDH is recomended for  the RPods, one with the axle risers and one without the axle risers.         David
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
Zephyr-POD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zephyr-POD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 8:35am
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great responses!  This is a neat message board, and I appreciate the thoughtful experience and contributions of its members.

So ... I have a few comments to make.  I know my original post may sound a like a bit of a rant.  It's intention is really just to warn folks.  Reese has an excellent reputation, and many of us may well have some form of Reese product we are using.  As for the suggested part, I think it may actually make the situation worse.  The friction pads were already too high just sitting on the frame.

The part suggestion brings to mind an interesting question though.  Is there anyone on this board who has successfully used this Reese WDH with their R-Pod?  If so, perhaps a post with info about installing it?  At this point, I feel like I've had a parade of "experts" try to install it, but I am willing to try again (beats sending it back).

Since I have scene others (on this board) using the Equalizer system - I think that is the route I may end up taking.  In the end, I want my family to be safe and its worth the few hundred bucks for that piece of mind.

Thanks again to those who posted responses.  If I should receive some info that gets this WDH working, I will certainly post it back to share with y'all.

Greg

Greg & Melika :: 2009 Ford Escape :: 2011 r-pod 172
etrailer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etrailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 2:31pm
Greg (Zephyr-POD),

My name is Patrick, I'm at etrailer.com. I wanted to follow up with you and make sure we got all the appropriate information and consequently got you all the appropriate information.

I've spoken to my colleague about this and will have him forward the email correspondence he's had with you so I can get up to speed. Based on the research I've done on your R-POD I'm not sure about the undermount coupler that Mike spoke with you about. 

I will be calling Forest River today to see what I can learn from them. If you can email me pictures on the problem and of the coupler on the R-POD they could help me quite a bit in getting to the bottom of this. We don't want to leave our customers frustrated, and I want to make sure we haven't steered you wrong.

If you can take pictures, please email to me directly at patrick.breedlove@etrailer.com

Patrick

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 9:48am
Thanks for dropping in etrailer. Your assistance is most welcome !
We appreciate your concern about this situation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic