r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions from a newbie about to buy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agilepod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 3:21pm
Steve wrote, "All of the pods are so small and limited in "walking around" room, that any additional floor space you can get is HUGE. And that's what the slide model does. Also, the slide model has more windows than the others. The 177 has 6." 

Thanks, Steve, for your reply.  That the 177 has more windows is huge to me--thanks for pointing that out!

Theresa
agilepod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agilepod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by joe&carol joe&carol wrote:

In terms of the axle risers, just where do you plan to go?  

Couch's put our brake controller on as part of the set-up package.

Thanks, Joe.  I will be towing a lot around flat ol' Texas, but will be heading to the mountains several times a year.  Since I like to get away from the crowds, sounds like I will definitely want the risers.  Do you think they'll let me negotiate high clearance roads?

Thanks for the tip that Crouch's helped with putting on the brake controller.  

Theresa
agilepod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agilepod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Outbound Outbound wrote:

People with trailers gladly talk about brake controllers, sway control and leveling for hours on end - so don't be afraid to ask.

LOL--I fear I will be one of them!  Thank you for all the great info.  

And thanks to all of you who have responded.  I feel like I am ready now to go investigate a tow vehicle for my Rpod.

Theresa, Sky and Loki (podhounds-to-be)
joe&carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe&carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 4:15pm
agilepod, you've stated / asked . . . .  "Since I like to get away from the crowds, sounds like I will definitely want the risers.  Do you think they'll let me negotiate high clearance roads?"

In Colorado, virtually all county roads are maintained and easy to traverse.  However, the US Forest Service and BLM roads can be problematic at times, though most have good access to the major campgrounds. Most of the USDA Forest maps are free and quite good.  If you are uncertain of an area, check locally or in the area before heading in.  I don't want to frighten anyone, but it wouldn't be too much fun trying to back a rig with a camper out of an area should you hit an impass.  Another hint: Should the sign say "4-wheel drive required," you probably don't want to be pulling your r-pod in, risers or not. Good luck on your travels.  Joe
Joe & Carol
r-pod 173
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 4:45pm
We have a 172 that we have owned since February 2010.  We bought the 172 because we wanted the bunks and the added storage underneath them.  Just be aware that the 172 can be rather dark in the bunk end.  We had a window put into the door and that problem was solved.  As a guy on here stated very aptly, when there are two adults in a 172 you must do the "Pod Dance" to get around each other when you pass in front of the stove/sink. LOL  There is a 176 which has bunks ( which are smaller than the ones in the 172) and a slide.  The added room to walk around in the 176 was a plus.  However, we decided as two adults that we need the extra width of the bunks in the 172.
The axle risers were an absolute must for us.  We have a rather steep driveway.  Even with the risers, our tongue jack only clears the driveway by about an inch.
We pull with a V8 Ford F150 which pulls as if there is nothing back there.  We towed the Pod in March in Florida.  We had high winds and torrential rains.  The Pod towed really well with only a little sway.
Whatever you choose, I think you will enjoy the Pod.  Take your time and ask questions.  There is never a "dumb" question on this site.  If you ask, someone will answer you promptly and kindly. Big smile
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic