r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions from a newbie about to buy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agilepod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions from a newbie about to buy
    Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 11:05am
Hi all,

Glad to have found this forum!

I am going to be buying an rpod soon.  I'm leaning to either the 171 or the 177, just not sure how much the slideout will appeal in real life.  Any comments on this from those who are already in real life?

Also, and I will be showing my newbie status here, I keep reading about axle risers and brake controllers.  How will I know if I need the risers?  And where does one get the brake controller put on?  If my tow vehicle (that will be new, too) comes with a factory tow package, do I still need to add a controller?  And who will adjust this--is it easy?  (I will most likely be buying from Couch's.)

Thanks!

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 11:32am
Hi Agilepod,

When rpods first came out, we didn't buy one because they were just too cramped for space for us. Then when FR came out with the slide models, we became more interested. All of the pods are so small and limited in "walking around" room, that any additional floor space you can get is HUGE. And that's what the slide model does. Also, the slide model has more windows than the others. The 177 has 6. So we bought a 177 and it's been fine for the 2 of us (and our dog).

We bought from Couches. We also bought a weight distributing hitch w/sway control from Couches and they installed it for us.

Brake controllers typically are not included with a tow package so you'll need to get one of those installed on your tow vehicle before you pick up your rpod. If your tow vehicle comes with a 4-pin connector in the back, you will need to get that converted to a 7-pin connector but that's not a big deal and your dealer can probably do it. Or you can get it done at a U-Haul store.

Couch's does not install brake controllers. However, we bought a remote control wireless brake controller which, unlike other controllers, requires that a receiver be mounted on the rpod. Couch's was happy to mount that for us. We just took it to them and they put it on. They're really good at helping folks out with whatever they need.

The brake controller is easy to use and whoever installs the controller for you will show you how to operate it. Once you have it set, you really don't have to bother with it much.

Lots of smart people on this forum (I'm not one of them <LOL>) who can answer just about any question you might have. Don't be afraid to ask. We all had the same questions once upon a time.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
joe&carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe&carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 11:37am
The best to you on your decision - - - The only advice I can give in terms of the floor plan is to really think through how you plan to use the r-pod and whether you need a slide out, a more trim unit, etc.  As always, there are things we'd really like to have but have no real use for; there are things we really need but can't have; there are things that are really us; etc.  Go spend a couple hours sitting in the various units and when you do, the right decision should come very quickly.

In terms of the axle risers, just where do you plan to go?  Just getting out of one's own driveway can be problematic for some people if they don't have the risers.  Another example, before we got our risers, we tore a stabilizer jack off the back when exiting a gas station in some out of the way place in Wyoming.

As for the brake controller, you don't want to be without one no matter what tow vehicle you have.  Keep in mind that you're pulling 2,600 pounds plus back there and there are conditions that you cannot predict such as sudden stops, quick movements to the side of the road, etc.  Couch's put our brake controller on as part of the set-up package.

Again, good luck.  Joe
GrandPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 11:37am
 Welcome to the forum. I have a model 177 and the big difference is the added room the slide makes.
 I was leaning toward a 171 then the slide models came out. My wife and I drove about 150 miles to the closest dealer that had both models on site. First I went into the 171 and then into the 177. My mind was made up immediately. There is no comparison between the two; but I would look at both before you decide, if you can. The 177 also has more windows and let more light inside.
 I would definitely have the axle riser added, they give you more clearance on steep driveways. The R-Pod has stabilizers that hang down in the back; also the drain tubes hang down. We just went on a 2384 mile vacation and had 2 places that I was glad we had the risers; the first was a gas station with a very steep driveway; they had signs posted " No large trucks" the other was a steep railroad  crossing.You'll see the scrap makes others have left.
 The brake controller supplies the voltage to the electric brakes to activate them, You are the one that sets the amount of voltage sent to the brakes. It doesn't take very much. We actually had our cable come loose and didn't notice any difference until I noticed the led wasn't lit on the controller.
We were driving through a town at city speeds. Any place that installs hitches or does rv trailer work should be able to install the controller.
 Another item you need is a class 3 hitch and I would recommend at least a 6 cylinder or preferably an 8 cylinder tow vehicle. If you take a vacation to mountainous states you'll need the added power.
 Tom
Tom And Linda
Rpod 177                      Southwest florida

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 12:15pm
Some of the newer GM vehicles with tow packages have the brake controller integrated with the dash controls, no 3rd party controller needed. But of course you'll know this when you get your tow vehicle.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 12:25pm
Quote I am going to be buying an rpod soon.  I'm leaning to either the 171 or the 177, just not sure how much the slideout will appeal in real life.  Any comments on this from those who are already in real life?

It really is a personal preference issue.  We're happy with our 171 and wouldn't trade it for a 177; the 171 suits us well.

- For a couple, moving around in a 171 is fine.  Add in a child (or a couple of large dogs), and you may want the extra floor space just to move about.
- There is slightly less cupboard space in a 177.  The overhead cabinets are half the height.  But its such a slight difference, I wouldn't let it count against the 177.
- Its easier to get into the bed in a 177.  Conversely, the bed area is more private in a 171; of course, adding a simple curtain addresses the issue in a 177.
- The 177 weighs more.  Its only 164 pounds more according to the spec.
- The tongue weight on the 177 is 51 pounds heavier.
- A slide is another hole in the outer skin of the trailer and is another potential source of leaks down the road as the seals age.
- Its very rare, but slide motors do bind and break.  And, you likely won't be at home with a garage full of tools at hand when it does.

Quote How will I know if I need the risers?

The r-pod sits very close to the ground and the extra height from the risers helps with steep driveways, speedbumps, potholes and the like.

I don't have risers, and have only once come across a situation where it would have been nice to have them: on Phil H's driveway at the micro R-pod round up - sorry, Phil!.  But, my advice is:
Get them.  They're cheap if you order them from the factory and I think that they'd be well worth it.

Quote And where does one get the brake controller put on?  If my tow vehicle (that will be new, too) comes with a factory tow package, do I still need to add a controller?

Most RV dealerships install brake controllers.  Tire shops may too.  Even U-Haul may.  But, quality and experience varies greatly across different shops.  I suggest that you go speak to your neighbours with trailers and get a recommendation.  People with trailers gladly talk about brake controllers, sway control and leveling for hours on end - so don't be afraid to ask.

"Factory Tow Package" does not mean "brake controller included."  A very few number of pickup trucks can be ordered with an integrated brake controller (which would be ordered separately from the tow package).  But, for most other vehicles, a brake controller must be installed separately.

Do not be cheap when purchasing a brake controller.  The Tekonsha Prodigy line of proportional brake controllers is generally considered the best and can be purchased for less than $100 more than the cheapest of timed brake controllers.  Its well worth spending a little extra money now.

For vehicles wired with a 7-pin Bargman connector, you can usually just plug your brake controller into the wiring harness (with the appropriate adapter for the manufacturer).  Usually, you'll also have to purchase a relay from your dealership to enable the charging pin in the trailer connector.

Quote And who will adjust this--is it easy?

Very easy.  You adjust it yourself.  Make sure that you read your manual first and understand how to adjust (mine has a little blue scroll wheel that I turn).  But, other than that, you can do it when you pick up your trailer.

Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Linda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 1:36pm
I had a choice of locking up the breaks with trailer in tow or running over a stupid person the other day. I choose locking up the breaks. I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have trailer breaks but I am sure glad I did!!  The pod stayed centered behind me.

I have the 171. A bit more "get around the other person room" would be nice sometimes but I wouldn't trade in the simplicity of the 171. It is "my little trailer". I just tell the other person to get out if I need more room :)
Linda-Maryland-Chev 2500-171
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 2:12pm
The 177 is a very nice model. The slide made the difference.
Brake controllers "are" necessary. Read up about them.
We highly recommend the Lifters.
Your tow vehicle represents 90% of your towing experience.
Choose wisely !

Welcome aboard .....
DixiePod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DixiePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 2:27pm
Agilepod,

I purchased my 172 before they came our with the "slides".   The slide out gives a litle more room and that is nice.  I love the 172, but if I had the choice now, I think I would go with the 177.

Brake controller is a MUST!!!

When I got my 172, I didn't do my homework and thought I could pull it with a two-door jeep Wrangler, like was shown on a local TV commercial!   But OOOOOH NOOOO!  My jeep was way underpowered! (It was very unhappy as a tow vehicle!)   I ended up purchasing a used Ford Expedition, which is working extremely well for me now.

Better to have too much tow capability than too little.  Do your homework and research concerning a tow vehicle and don't let the dealer tell you, "Oh yeah, you can pull this" like we were told!  Go to the dealer knowing what you will be able to pull!!

DixiePod
2010 R-Pod 172 "DixiePod"
Tow vehicle: 2001 Expedition (V-8 Triton)
Just podding along Looziana style!
Joe & Vickie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe & Vickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 3:01pm
     I bought a Prodigy brake controller on line from e-trailer. I took it to the mechanic that I use for all my work on my vehicles. It was so easy that he did not charge me anything. All he had to do was plug in the unit & screw in the mount with two screws.You will get instructions on how to adjust the brake controller with the unit when it arrives.It is so easy to do that anyone can do it. The only reason that I took my truck to a mechanic was because of my physical condition. I could not get down to plug it under the dash on my truck.                     Smile
r-pod 177-GITTY UP GO
ford F-250 pickup
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic