r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas mileage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A5mando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas mileage
    Posted: 26 May 2009 at 9:21am
What kind of gas mileage are folks when pulling the r.pod?

A5mando
western NC
capringl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capringl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 10:37am
8 to 12 depending on conditions...there is a whole thread discussing this...you should be able to do a search and find it.
Craig
R-Pod 172
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 10:50am
I'm getting 9 to 10 in my Highlander Hybrid.
Let's hit the road!
Stan and Linda Irvin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan and Linda Irvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 2:39pm
We drove 1000 mile round trip from Dayton Ohio to Charlotte NC for the race an averaged 10.4 mpg. We use a Nissan Murano AWD with a 3.5L and CVT transmission. We did notice and increase to the mpg when we raised our sun roof which acted as a wind deflector.
Stan and Linda
rmaco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 1:59pm
8 to 10 mpg which isn't to bad with current prices but if they go up again that will suck. The other part that sucks is having to stop around every 100 miles or so for gas because of my small 12 gallon tank. I strapped a 5 gallon can to my trailer tongue just in case before I left on this last trip to Moab.
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 9:33am
Originally posted by rmaco rmaco wrote:

8 to 10 mpg which isn't to bad with current prices but if they go up again that will suck. The other part that sucks is having to stop around every 100 miles or so for gas because of my small 12 gallon tank. I strapped a 5 gallon can to my trailer tongue just in case before I left on this last trip to Moab.

Stopping for gas so often is bad enough by itself.  I prefer to go to a truckstop to get it because of the space issues.  There just simply isn't enough room to manuever in some of the regular gas stations.
Let's hit the road!
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 7:53pm
We just returned from a 1000+ mile trip.  Our Pathfinder gets 20-22 MPG on the Hwy without a trailer.  We got 15 MPG with Rbug with speeds 55-65 max.  We are pleased with our mileage.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
A5mando View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A5mando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 4:33am
Originally posted by yizit yizit wrote:

We just returned from a 1000+ mile trip.  Our Pathfinder gets 20-22 MPG on the Hwy without a trailer.  We got 15 MPG with Rbug with speeds 55-65 max.  We are pleased with our mileage.

Wow--that is great.  What do you attribute your better mileage to?  I wonder if controlling sway with the Equal-i-zer improves mileage?

A5mando
western NC
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 5:42pm
Couldn't say.  We have a Pathfinder V6 4.0L 266HP, with a 6000# towing.  Maybe the engine doesn't strain as much pulling the light weight of the TT.   It also rides higher, so maybe less wind drag.  We also used cruise control as much as possible.  What ever the reason, we are pleased.  Maybe it was just a fluke...hope not.Confused 

Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
J233 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J233 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 6:03am

I don't think it was a fluke. This actually makes sense. An rpod is light and aerodynamic enough for this type of mileage. Your truck most likely runs the tranny on a high gear/overdrive due to light load and there is enough torque to maintain low rpms and steady speed.

My friend has a 18' Fun Finder TT that sits low to the ground, is 7' wide only, very light. He tows it with  GMC Acadia and gets 16 mpgs. I tow a tall, heavier, longer and a wider trailer ( 8 ‘) and get only 11 mpg with Saturn Outlook (same as Acadia). The wind resistance is the main factor here. This is where a diesel engine wins for those of us who own a diesel vehicle because these engines have high torque at low rpms and this is what saves fuel.

If you towed a popup you would probably gain 1 or 2 mpgs on top of your mileage with the rpod -  I would say a comparable number to what you get in city driving with your Pathfinder.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic