r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clevispin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 2:07pm
R&T's Pod .. .. where are those bolts? It's a lot easier for me to tighten four bolts than it is to get the pod to the dealer ... and back.

Tom
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 2:24pm

Hey Tom, you have to remove the fascia plate inside the pod.  Then you should be able to see the mounting bolts.  The A/C on the pod is a dometic, the A/C on my popup was a coleman, but they are very similar.  Rob

2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 7:41am
We just got back from a 2 week vacation with the escape pod.  We went south through Tennessee, Georgia and Florida and the temperatures were very warm to say the least.Wacko  Everything on the r-pod worked well even the air conditioner thank goodness!Clap  However, the air conditioner did leak water inside the r-pod.Cry  While on vacation I tried tilting the r-pod in different directions but it still leaked no matter how it was tilted.  I am going to call Couch's today and ask about taking off the fascia cover and tightening up the bolts.  I would not want to void the warranty. Does anyone know how to remove the fascia cover?  Should I use a screw driver or putty knife and pry it off?  Does it come off in a particular direction easier than another direction?  Confused

George
I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 8:31am
After reading the plight of some of the folks here concerning leaking A/C units I decided I might want to read up on how the things are installed.
The manual that came with the R Pod was quite clear and apparently there are eight (8 ) screws holding the cover(fascia) on inside the Pod.    The manual shows where to look for them.   Then there is is either three (3) or four (4) bolts, depending on the model, holding the unit to the Pod.  Also the manual contains a couple of important warnings.  One says do not slide the unit into position when installing because it may destroy the seal.  The second warning says to tighten the mounting screws (bolts) to a particular torque which is in the manual.  I happen to have an in-lb torque wrench but that is not a normal tool in the average guys tool box.  The THIRD warning says DO NOT OVER TORQUE the mounting bolts because again you can destroy the seal.  The manual also says if the mounting bolts are under torqued it will result in a leaky seal.
If you don't have a torque wrench in the in-lb range I DO NOT recommend attempting any adjustments.
It does seem to me there are a couple of opportunities for leaks to develop.  The first being a damaged seal during installation.  And mounting screws(bolts) not at the proper torque.  It would seem to me that in either case it would be a simple fix for a properly equipped dealer shop.
Above all if you are thinking about attacking the problem your self READ THE MANUAL before starting and make certain you have the proper tools and know how to use them.
This advise is worth what you paid for it.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 1:04pm
     To remove the inside cover of the AC there are several screws. You may need a flashlight to locate some that are between the vents. Be carefull not to use to much force as the plastic may break. The cover on the outside on the roof is much easier to removed. We never had any problems with the AC leaking water, but we did have a noise with the fan. I removed the top cover and found mounting bolts for the fan bracket coming lose. On another post someone was told by there dealer that happens at times from vibration.       David and Danette
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
mbmcginity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbmcginity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 5:45pm
We had a similar problem with our 176.  Upon returning from an 11 day, 2400 mile adventure we turned the air conditioner on to cool the rpod for unloading and we were greeted with a horrible scream from the fan.  It turned out one of the fan mounting bolts had loosened enough over the journey to interfere with the fan.  The fan was only slightly chipped so the RV tech was able to tighten the bolt back up and the fan works just fine.  He accessed that assembly from the outside.
New Lone Star Podders
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 6:36pm
Great infoe mbmcginity !!!

This may be as close to an inherent issue as the LP singing.

Guess all Podders should have these bolts checked, at some time.
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by PodPatrol PodPatrol wrote:

Guess all Podders should have these bolts checked, at some time.

The technician who walked me through our R-Pod when I first picked it up specifically mentioned tightening these bolts.  He told me to tighten them after the first trip and then to check them annually.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
kotasnana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kotasnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 5:20pm
My r-pod is home, thank goodness . I contacted Forest River once again because they never returned my call after agreeing to call back the last time we spoke.This was the e-mail response I received today....

"I have talk to (dealers name deleted to protect the innocent)and he stated that he has already getting a replacement AC from dometic. The dealership you took your unit to could not duplicate the problem you said you had with the AC after running it for 4 hours. If your AC test to be defective by Dometic then we will reimburse what ever labor cost you have from Vance".

Thank You,
Amber Wilson

You said you had? Yes I just made it up so I could have my pod in the shop for 3 weeks (over the July 4th weekend in which we had plans), be treated like I was trying to get something for free from FR and so they could take apart a perfectly good ac unit and replace it ?????

I will never even consider buying another FR product..Just thought everyone should know. This forum is about sharing information on our experiences with our pods and FR, Good and bad. Lesson learned here......Be advised.

Chrysler town and country
Eastern roundup site 10
R-pod 175
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 10:59pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic