r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-POD TOWING/OFF ROAD QUESTIONS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 12:41am
Ron, we used OD on the highway except for large hills. we didn't find any searching for the smaller grades but we didn't have much headwind either. 
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
R-PODMAYBE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-PODMAYBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 8:59am
David,

Thanks for the link.

Gmandual and Heidi,

Thanks for the follow-ups.

Best,
Ron
ibosket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibosket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 10:39am
While we use a V8 Toyota Tundra, we've pulled our r-pod for considerable distances on bumpy, gravel roads here in Montana with no modifications.  While the mileage remains about the same for on-road or off-road (about 12), the Tundra has no problem with powering the trailer through any conditions.  The single-axle trailer however has some limitations, including being quite bouncy when encountering ruts and potholes.  I've noticed some fish-tailing at speed going over a series of potholes, but nothing out-of-control.  When the roads become rough I limit my speed to about 35 mph, and speed up on the smoother portions.  The R175 seems to handle back roads pretty well, as long as we've battened down the hatches and kept things stowed well inside. We've done some cool-weather camping, and condensation can be a problem, but nothing beyond what we expected.  We keep the roof/bathroom hatch slightly raised at night and crack a window or two.  The furnace seems to do quite well keeping up without being too noisy.  As far as the separate drains, you can use a "Y" connection to do both at once.

Curt
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 2:06pm
I recommend against towing an r-pod off-road.

Towing down a dirt road with some washboard, a few ruts and some light washout is one thing.  But, dragging an r-pod into the backcountry and real off-roading is something else altogether.  The stresses that an off-camber climb would put on the frame and structure would be enormous.  I'd want a trailer with a welded steel frame (cage) as a base as opposed to the r-pod's aluminum/wood structure.  The fibreglass skin would rip fairly easily if it came against some good sized rocks while dragging up a streambed.  The unit is far too high, too - you'd constantly be hitting tree limbs and other obstructions.

There are trailers build for offroad - the Coleman Evolution series comes to mind.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-PODMAYBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 9:21am
Curt and Craig,

Thank you very much for your replies. Excellent advice.
BTW, I'm no longer a MAYBE!! We will be picking up a new 171 next week.

Thanks Again Everyone - Great Board,
Ron
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 12:56am
Congrats on your new baby pod!
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-PODMAYBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 9:35am

Thank You Heidi. We are anxious to get it.

Ron
medimike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medimike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 5:41pm
Hi David, I just purchased a 2010 171 and went from Colorado to SE Oklahoma to pick it up. I am pulling it with 2010 4d Rubicon, 4:10's, and stock BFG's.

The jeep worked pretty hard in 104 Deg. weather(as anything would). The max I was traveling was 50mph. The engine light came on once and I backed off and it reset after several cycles of the ignition. I thought the jeep would do much better than it did. How is yours pulling? I thought there may be something wrong with my jeep.

When we reached the Colorado boarder (82 Deg.) and a little rain it pulled much better. I could travel 60 to 65mph. but gas milage was 8.5mpg. The Jeep looks good hooked to the rpod but I am not to sure about towing it with it. Any ideas?Ouch Mike

argh6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argh6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 11:34pm
Congrats Ron!  You will love the Pod!
Jerry, Julie, Kaiti, & Abbi ~ Phoenix, AZ ~ 2010 172T ~ 2004 Acura MDX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-PODMAYBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 1:07pm
ARGH6,

Thank you. I did a lot of research (this board is very helpful and is a great source of info plus has good people on it) on the r-pod. I like the design and features on it. Want to use it for hunting, other outdoor activities, staying in smaller campgrounds, traveling across the US and eventually our dream of getting to Alaska.

Thanks Again,
Ron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic