r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-POD TOWING/OFF ROAD QUESTIONS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-PODMAYBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-POD TOWING/OFF ROAD QUESTIONS
    Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 8:58am

Hello Good People,

We are contemplating the purchase of an R-POD - probably the 171. We would be using it for some off-road camping and eventually take it to Alaska. We have a Toyota Tacoma with the V-6, 5-speed Auto and a towing package. We would greatly appreciate any input on any of the following:

1. Have you used yours extensively off-road?
  2. Is ground clearance sufficient with 14” tires and the riser axle?
  3. Would 15” tires be a better option if they are available?
  4. How has your R-POD held up to off-road use?
  5. Any experience taking it to Alaska?
  6. Anyone towing with the above vehicle/motor/tranny combination?
    1. If so, how does it handle hills/mountains?
    2. Do you tow in 4th only?
    3. How fast do you drive when towing?
    4. What gas mileage do you obtain?
    5. What are your overall impressions of towing with this vehicle/ trailer combination?
  7. Have you made any modifications to the trailer or tow vehicle regarding off-road use?
  8. Have you camped in cold weather and if so, was there interior sweating and how much condensation built up on the windows?
  9. How do you handle dumping with separate gray and black water drain outlets?

Please feel free to add any comments regarding this topic.

Thank You Very Much In Advance,

R-PODMAYBE

Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 9:48am
We have the same tacoma set up with a 175 but have not done off roading with it yet. Definately get the axle risers. We only towed in 4th when doing grades. we could easily do 65 on the highways. Gas mileage went down to about 14mpg. My husband is very satisfied with the combo although he says at times he wishes he had a little more horse power.(I think he's just hinting for a bigger new truck). We did camp in cold weather. the furnace works great but with us and the dog I needed to leave the vent open and a window cracked and still had some condensation on the windows in the morning, but nothing dripping on me. We did add mud flaps to the pod. As far a dumping as long as you can get to a dumping station its black first and grey second. We changed the tube for the sewer hose as shown in an earlier post by someone else.
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
R-PODMAYBE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-PODMAYBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 10:57am

Heidi,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Were you towing in O.D. on the highway and if so did the tranny tend to search between 4th and 5th for small inclines and how did it handle headwinds?

Thanks Again,
Ron
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 11:20am
I would definitely recommend the risers.
Cold weather camping has been done, just have to keep an eye peeled for freezing holding tanks, and freezing water lines during tow.
V6's do fine in normal conditions, but off-roading may be another story.
Gas mileage is usually 1/2 of what you would get when not towing.
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 12:00pm
What exactly is your definition of "off road" use?

I have taken the trailer down some pretty awful paths.  Some borderlining on the completely stupid.    And in most cases have had everything from mild to extreme difficulty.   Been down some muddy dirt roads and off in the brush a bit but definitly wasn't 4x4ing accross a stream or open field.    With any trailer with a single axle you have problems with clearances as you go up and down small berms or go over even uneven ground.    Even with the risers I have scraped the back suppot jacks just trying to get in and out of a gas station with a really bad sidewalk.    If you are going to be doing quite a bit offroading I would really suggest a trailer with dual axles as you you end as dual axle trailers don't generally have same clearance problems as single axle trailers.  Plus a flat tire on a dual axle trailer won't leave you stuck with half your trailer in the mud.   Am sad to say that the R-POD are only single axle trailers, so IMHO aren't that great for real offroad use. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-PODMAYBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 3:27pm

PodPatrol,

I'm hoping for more than the half, but realize I may have to live with that. This looks like an excellent board.

Gmandual,

Mainly the typical "two track" - nothing really crazy. Actually it sounds like you have taken yours in worse places than I intend to take one. Interesting about the gas stations. I had that happen with a 19' Terry as well and was wondering how common it was with a r-pod.

A salesman told me 15" tires are an option, but I didn't see them on Forest River's site. Also does anyone have any figures for coefficient of drag for a r-pod as compared with a typical travel trailer? I've seen the air flow pattern and they sure look "slippery".

Thanks To Both Of You,
Ron

david950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 10:39pm
It's not apples to apples, but here's my real world experience:

I just averaged a bit over 10mpg over 4200 miles of Pod pulling with my Jeep Wrangler (Rubicon Unlimited).  It's an auto, I tow with O/D off, and right about 60 mph or a couple over - anything more than that and the tranny is hunting.  Big hills and headwinds slow me down a bit. 

Our trucks are fairly differnet - I'm pretty sure your Tacoma's V6 has a few more hamsters than mine, and maybe you're not pushing BFG M/Ts, and you probably don't have the Rubicon's 4.10 final drive ratio.  All that and your Tacoma is a little less brick-like than my Wrangler.

We seem to have a pile or two of sawdust in the Pod at each day's stop, so there must be some shaking going on.  We've been on a couple of forest service type roads, but nothing worse.  I have the risers, and haven't scraped anything yet.

We dump the black first, then the gray, so we kinda rinse out the hose with gray water.  We're new to RVs, and it's a lot less nasty than I thought it'd be.  I use disposable gloves, and I don't touch/scratch anything while waiting for the tanks to empty.  Flip the gloves off inside out and you're done.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-PODMAYBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 11:20pm
David,

Thank you for your interesting reply. That's the speed I intend to tow at also and I really don't want to tow in 5th. Yes about the hamsters and tires also. The sawdust thing does have me wondering a bit. Also glad to hear about not scraping.

I have done a lot of RVing myself and the two drain thing seems to be cumbersome and I wondered if anyone had a way to simplify it.

Thanks Again,
Ron
david950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 11:59pm
Oh, I see where you're heading - check out this mod - I want to do it myself...

http://rpodnation.com/cybs-pod-mod_topic1423.html
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 12:40am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic