r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with Pets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small Dogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Dogs
    Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 3:48pm
I have two height challenged dogs, stubby legs and all, what do people do with their dogs in such a confined area? Have you built a ramp for them? Made a play area out of the tent area or the bed area? Moded the unit to suit them?

I was thinking that perhaps they'd like our T-pull out area to sleep in while we sit on our couch and watch TV or sit at the table at the other end. But I could certainly see them getting under foot in no time if I was moving around making supper or whatever.

We will of course bring all the acceptable nesting materials and non-squeeky toys with them.

Thanks

Tess
Tess&Brad
R-Pod 173T
'07 Hyundai Sante Fe V6
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 6:27pm
We let our little Rat Terrier sleep wherever she wants. It's a long jump for her to get up on the bed but she can make it. The dinette seats are easier and that's where she likes to go.

As far as getting into the pod, she jumps up the step into the trailer without a problem even though we have axle risers. We had to teach and coax her at first but she soon learned what to do. But she already did stairs at our house so it wasn't totally new.

I think small dogs have figured out that they are little and humans are big and that when a human steps on their paws, it hurts. So they're pretty good at looking after themselves in tight quarters and staying out of the way. At least that's how it works with ours.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 7:02pm
Tess...Dudley is 11 lbs. on a good day, soaking wet, after a big meal.
He goes up and down the step like he owns the pod...which of course he does and he just lets us stay with him.
Most of the time he is either up on the sofa with Taller Half, on the bed with me or often under the table...that's where I put one blanket for him and I have others scattered around the Podcaster 173.  I have a very light cable tie out for him too and a little basket handing by the door with poop bags, natural bug repellent and a leash.
But Dudley is the dog from heaven for us as campers...he doesn't bark or whine...is happy with a lap to be in and needs a nap after every meal...he made me write the "from heaven" part....

Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
tturbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 12:08am
Originally posted by rpoders2 rpoders2 wrote:

Tess...Dudley is 11 lbs. on a good day, soaking wet, after a big meal.
He goes up and down the step like he owns the pod...which of course he does and he just lets us

What a cute dog! I love small dogs and non-barky ones are the best!

Our girls are kind of barkers unfortunately, they are on patrol far too much so camping will be a new experience for them, I imagine a few sleepless nights if they hear something.

We will probably bring a fav blanket for them and tuck it under the table if we sit on the other side to watch TV or read. I don't know how well they'll do in the RDome but again it will all be new for them. We will also have their travel case (big enough for two small doxies) Last time we camped we were half way back down a mountain trail when we go caught in a torrential downpour. We had raincoats of course they didn't; talk about two of the soggiest dogs you've ever seen and grumpy too.

Tess&Brad
R-Pod 173T
'07 Hyundai Sante Fe V6
tturbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

We let our little Rat Terrier sleep wherever she wants. It's a long jump for her to get up on the bed but she can make it. The dinette seats are easier and that's where she likes to go.

We have to watch when they jump down, due to their long backs we need them to be floor models as much as possible. I've scoped out under the table for them but they don't like it so far just being in the trailer, they like to be on patrol far too much.

Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

As far as getting into the pod, she jumps up the step into the trailer without a problem even though we have axle risers. We had to teach and coax her at first but she soon learned what to do. But she already did stairs at our house so it wasn't totally new.

We'll have to see how much of a difference the risers make. Our dogs are also far too independent to a point of frustration so we need to have leashes on them at all times. We'll probably just open the door and place them on the floor first like we do at home (I know we are their monkey servants sometimes) Smile

Hopefully we'll be able to figure something out once we get out . Thanks for your comments
Tess&Brad
R-Pod 173T
'07 Hyundai Sante Fe V6
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 8:46am

What a cute dog! I love small dogs and non-barky ones are the best!

Our girls are kind of barkers unfortunately, they are on patrol far too much so camping will be a new experience for them, I imagine a few sleepless nights if they hear something.

We will probably bring a fav blanket for them and tuck it under the table if we sit on the other side to watch TV or read. I don't know how well they'll do in the RDome but again it will all be new for them. We will also have their travel case (big enough for two small doxies) Last time we camped we were half way back down a mountain trail when we go caught in a torrential downpour. We had raincoats of course they didn't; talk about two of the soggiest dogs you've ever seen and grumpy too.

[/QUOTE]
What a pair of cuties!
I actually have 3 dogs but after trying to camp 3 times with all three of them, I now have a pet sitter come for the two girls...one is a chi/corgi mix and the other a border collie/shep mix...very reactive barkers and the big dog really can't be left alone...separation anxiety Confused issues!
I also bring a couple blankets for Dudley and of course he loves to sit on my lap at the campfire...
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
Pam and Bob DeLay View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam and Bob DeLay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 12:40pm
Our two dogs, Elvis and Harley, have now been Pod-dogs for about a year, and they love it!!!  They know when we're packing up that we're ready for a new adventure.  They loved all the folks at the ERU!  Harley still can't really figure out the going up the stair into the POD, and tries to leap up in a single jump, which is a bit of a challenge for him.  They both quickly figured out they can sneak under the tent material and go visiting so they have to be tied or in crates unless they are in the R Pod.   They both love hiking, and are OK with the kayak (see photo of me and Harley really working hard at Greenbo Lake in Kentucky) but NOT ok with swimming or walking in the rain and they hate really cold weather. 
the hills of Ohio

Daystarsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daystarsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 1:13pm

This is our Zoe in HER rpod.  She shares it with Gary and I. LOL
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Daystarsc Daystarsc wrote:

This is our Zoe in HER rpod.  She shares it with Gary and I. LOL
Ah yes, I can see that Zoe is the perfect "watch pod dog".
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Pam and Bob DeLay Pam and Bob DeLay wrote:

Our two dogs, Elvis and Harley, have now been Pod-dogs for about a year, and they love it!!!  They know when we're packing up that we're ready for a new adventure.  They loved all the folks at the ERU!  Harley still can't really figure out the going up the stair into the POD, and tries to leap up in a single jump, which is a bit of a challenge for him.  They both quickly figured out they can sneak under the tent material and go visiting so they have to be tied or in crates unless they are in the R Pod.   They both love hiking, and are OK with the kayak (see photo of me and Harley really working hard at Greenbo Lake in Kentucky) but NOT ok with swimming or walking in the rain and they hate really cold weather. 
Yes, Dudley goes straight for the pod and not for the car when we go out the front door...he loves to go anywhere and do anything...except in rain...or when he could be napping :)
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic