r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upper Bunk Bed Weight Limit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spukistiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upper Bunk Bed Weight Limit
    Posted: 28 May 2009 at 9:10am
We had an older travel trailer with fold down bunk beds, but there was a specific weight capacity. This made it only suitable for children. Does anyone know if the upper bunk in the R-Pod is strong enough for adults?
M & M
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 9:28am
200lbs is pretty much the standard for RV bunks but I'm not sure if it applies to the POD.
Let's hit the road!
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 5:01pm
200 top bunk, 300 bottom
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 4:01am
Plenty for most adults.
Let's hit the road!
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 5:10am
If you are above 200lbs - you probably wouldn't be able to get up in the top bunk anyway Tongue
spukistiles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spukistiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 7:04am
Thank you for those answers. I am just over 200 lbs, but still have some climbing ability left! Big smile Since I had hoped to perch on the top bunk, it must be some kind of cruel justice that I am just over the limit. Unhappy Maybe I can shed some of it, if I try real hard!
M & M
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 10:22am
That's funny.... as long as you are not jumping on the bunk you will be fine... would test it first without the spouse on the bottom ;)
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 11:22am
REMOVED FOR COPYRIGHT
retired Roxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired Roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 7:55pm
I am in ( not me really but a friend is doing it for me) the process of cutting out the center of the upper bunk to make self type storage. I got a really good look at the construction. It is two layers of 3 ply plywood ( top and bottom) Sandwiched inbetween are 1X2s spaced about 12 inches apart from the back wall to the front free supported edge. In the center this cross piece is doubled. There are 1X2's
screwed around the edge for the side support with screws about every 12 inches. And the finishing board we see is a 1x3 nailed to the 1x2 that is the surrounding support and to which the plywood is stapled.

Do't now if this helps in determing its weight limit.

Retired Roxy
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2009 at 5:38am
NO JUMPing, No Moving on the second bunk....Stern Smile,  Myra has the top and I have the bottom but she's short so I had to get her a ladder (which also helps with the r-dome), but as you can see from the picture it hit the dector one to many times.  I haven't deceide yet if I'm going to move it and where or put a brace around it,  

(ladder from walmart)

Myra did the repair job..Haven't had the heart to undo it yet.

SO Roxy for being retired your sound like your doing ALOT of work.  I'm semi-retired and try not to work that hard.

PLEASE DON"T FORGET PICTURES.

Lee

Lee
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic