r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping Recipes and Food Ideas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Camping Snacks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Camping Snacks
    Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 6:44pm
Ok all you R-Podders out there and you know who you are, what are your favourite snacks to MAKE while camping?

Yeah, I know all about the potato chips, freeze dried ice cream and GORP etc but we have microwave/convection ovens in our pods and if any of us are lucky a good campfire. You know, sometimes the ingredients taste better put together with a few twigs, dirt and bugs Big smile

My favourite snack food is high-fibre taco chips, with some black olives, green onions, tomatoes, tossed on and a quick sprinkle of cheese served with salsa and LF sour cream (which helps nicely for the potato portion of a steak dinner)  Can also be done in foil on a pan over the fire.

Microwave popcorn, ahh but not the kind in a bag, hopefully the microwave popcorn bowl that I use in my house microwave will work in the trailer one.

Rice crispies, marshmallows, butter/margarine, big bowl, patience and viola nummy and warm.

Anyone else?

Tess&Brad
R-Pod 173T
'07 Hyundai Sante Fe V6
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 8:11pm
Brin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 8:52pm
I made cinnamon rolls in the dutch oven.  They were great.   Frozen bread dough and brown sugar/cream and cinnamon.   Now I am hungry.
Terri and Craig and Panzer
R-pod 175, 2009
2000 F250 XLT Extended Cab, Diesel
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 10:21pm
I bought a $20 ice cream maker and now Ted says I have to make ice cream every weekend...I had one small  bowl and Ted had the restShocked..

I might have to add some peaches to the next batch...that's my favorite!
~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 10:27pm
Fresh wild blueberry cobbler done in a dutch oven or a camp oven that coleman makes. Once even made a blueberry pie over a campfire in that little oven. Makes me want to be camping right now!!!
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
Brin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Pie_Pod Pie_Pod wrote:

I bought a $20 ice cream maker and now Ted says I have to make ice cream every weekend...I had one small  bowl and Ted had the restShocked..

I might have to add some peaches to the next batch...that's my favorite!
What ice cream maker did you get?   Can it make chocolate ice cream?
Terri and Craig and Panzer
R-pod 175, 2009
2000 F250 XLT Extended Cab, Diesel
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 10:22am
I'm guessing one of the balls that you toss around til its frozen. I haven't tried one yet but I have seen it done. It can make any flavor you want. and you can get one almost anywhere
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 11:16am
The Ice Cream maker is one that requires the cylinder be placed in a Freezer.
Our current RV has a large freezer, much larger than the Pods.
It worked out great for us. My family use to use the electric w/ice
type and they worked great too. Just have to keep an eye on them.
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by PodPatrol PodPatrol wrote:

The Ice Cream maker is one that requires the cylinder be placed in a Freezer. Our current RV has a large freezer, much larger than the Pods.
It worked out great for us. My family use to use the electric w/ice
type and they worked great too. Just have to keep an eye on them.

We have one like that. We use ours to make frozen Margaritas Wink.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
tturbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 3:07pm
I can see where this is all going you people all want those desserts you never have when you're at home Clap

Okay Steve, sounds like a very fine idea to me and hey apparently it will do ice cream too hehehe!

gmandual, yeah remind me when you come up our way I'll be sure to drop by I'll even bring fresh Saskatoons for the cobbler just for a change. My dad used to use a dehydrator for his cherries and peaches they were very tasty, don't think he ever did jerky but other people I know did.

and Brin thanks for the ingredients, I suppose you'd have to buy the frozen buns or you'd have to wait til a loaf thawed.

Heide I get the idea that maybe for a quick dessert you could bring frozen and just bake it within a few days and voila a very fine snack indeed.

I've seen those little ovens, I'll have to see how motivated I am when dry camping but they look kind of neat. We saw a very expensive one in Costco although it looked like you could do a turkey in it!

Thanks keep em coming I'm taking notes!!

Tess&Brad
R-Pod 173T
'07 Hyundai Sante Fe V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic