r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hitch v equalizer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hitch v equalizer
    Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 8:24pm
This is probably really stupid, but it's driving me crazy. I have read all the posts about pulling the r-pod with a Honda Pilot and I still don't know what's what. I have a 2010, 177 r-pod that I'm pulling with a 2006 Honda Pilot. I bought the Pilot used and it came with Honda's navigation package installed. We had a new plug and brakes installed before we picked up the trailer. The r-pod has one sway bar along with its 'V-shaped' hitch. I've pulled the r-pod only a couple of times with absolute no sway and no problems. I keep reading about 'the hitch' and an 'equalizer' hitch. I look them up and sometimes the 'hitch' is the part from the r-pod and sometimes the 'hitch' is the described as the part attached to the car. HELP! 1. which is which and 2. Do I have everything I need to not damage my car when I'm pulling my new favorite toy? Thanks for any and all help. By the way, I'm very cognizant of the weight and know keeping it low is very important. 
SarJet in . . .
'Travels with Charlie'
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 12:23am
The hitch on your car should be sufficient to pull your pod. When we took our pod to Indiana, I took off the sway control after the first day- we had no problems towing the camper. An equalizer hitch is actually a weight distributing hitch, you can recognize these because they have (for the most part) two bars that extend from the car to the camper and help share the load, "ie: distribute". I really don't see a need for a weight distributing hitch for an R-pod. The class 2 or 3 hitch is on the car, the stinger goes into the hitch, and the sway control goes onto a smaller ball on the right side of the stinger's 2" ball. I hope this helps. 
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
argh6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argh6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 1:14am
We tow our Pod with a 2004 Acura MDX, which the Pilot is based off of.  While we have not had ours long, we have towed it through multiple different challenging locations, and never found the need for either a WD hitch or sway control.  If you live in an area, or tow through areas that are windy, sway control may be necessary, but with the Pilot a WD hitch is not necessary!  Happy Podding!
Jerry, Julie, Kaiti, & Abbi ~ Phoenix, AZ ~ 2010 172T ~ 2004 Acura MDX
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 1:26am
r-pod tongue weight varies a great deal based upon model:

• RP151 - 241 lb
  • RP171 - 181 lb
  • RP172 - 179 lb
  • RP173 - 184 lb
  • RP174 - 234 lb
  • RP175 - 235 lb
  • RP176 - 240 lb
  • RP177 - 232 lb
  • RP172T - 260 lb
  • RP173T - 282 lb
  • RP176T - 288 lb
Although these dry weight specifications include the weight of an empty propane tank, they do not include the propane gas itself or a battery.  Additionally, the specifications do not include any gear or food that a family would pack or the contents of the fresh/grey/black tanks.  A typical family could easily add 50-150 pounds (or more) to the tongue weight.

Depending on the tow vehicle,  there may be a maximum hitch weight (e.g. my Mazda has a hitch weight limit of 350 pounds) that has to be taken into account.  Some vehicles may have softer suspension for a smooth ride which also will limit the hitch weight for all intents and purposes; heavy hitch weight and soft suspension will lead to the vehicle porpoising and an uncomfortable, potentially dangerous ride.

Some r-pod and tow vehicle combinations will require the use of weight distribution equipment.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 8:19am
Originally posted by sarjet sarjet wrote:

This is probably really stupid, but it's driving me crazy. I have read all the posts about pulling the r-pod with a Honda Pilot and I still don't know what's what. I have a 2010, 177 r-pod that I'm pulling with a 2006 Honda Pilot. I bought the Pilot used and it came with Honda's navigation package installed. We had a new plug and brakes installed before we picked up the trailer. The r-pod has one sway bar along with its 'V-shaped' hitch. I've pulled the r-pod only a couple of times with absolute no sway and no problems. I keep reading about 'the hitch' and an 'equalizer' hitch. I look them up and sometimes the 'hitch' is the part from the r-pod and sometimes the 'hitch' is the described as the part attached to the car. HELP! 1. which is which and 2. Do I have everything I need to not damage my car when I'm pulling my new favorite toy? Thanks for any and all help. By the way, I'm very cognizant of the weight and know keeping it low is very important. 
Honda does not reccomend a WDH for the Pilot...something about the frame.
We do use our sway bar and it does not prevent sway but it does correct it.
Your 177 is heavier than our 173 as far as hitch weight is concerned and that is a good thing.
Our Pilot pulls and doesn't overheat with the added coolers...it gets about 10 mpg towing with premium gas and the ac on in the car.
We wanted a car that was reliable and a pleasure to drive even when we weren't towing and we do like our Pilot.  If I had it all to do over, I might have gotten a truck...but I couldn't convince Taller Half Wink
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 9:24am
I agree that the "towing experience" means different things from owner to owner.
One can't neglect the numbers, and shouldn't.
You can only be sure by weighing the Pod & TV loaded, and/or evaluating your particular towing experience.
If you feel under-powered get a bigger TV, or travel lighter.
If you feel sway or have a unlevel setup, look into adjustments pertaining to your TV.
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:38am
Quote Honda does not reccomend a WDH for the Pilot...something about the frame.

+1

A WDH stiffens the link between tow vehicle and trailer and essentially moves weight from the hitch to the front axle of your vehicle and to the r-pod's axle.  This puts additional stress on the unibody - the Pilot, like most SUVs and unlike many pickup trucks, does not have a ladder frame with the body bolted on.  Instead, the frame and body are one.  The stress of a WDH may crack, bend or warp the unibody is unusual/unexpected places that are weak points (e.g. above the rear door frames).
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
sarjet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 11:11am
Thank you, thank you, thank you all so very much for your clear and specific answers. I feel so blessed to have been guided to this forum. Maybe one day, I can even give some suggestions because of our experiences. Wisdom is only gained through experience . . . it's a lot faster and easier if we can share with others to make our 'experiences' less painful. Hug
SarJet in . . .
'Travels with Charlie'
Eric and Betsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric and Betsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:10pm
We will be towing a 177 with a Honda Odyssey.  Someone in the forum said to look in your tow vehicle manual and use what it says to use.  For our Honda, the manual says use a WDH and a sway contol bar.  It will affect your warrenty if you do not follow their suggestions, I believe.
Eric and Betsy
argh6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argh6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 5:44pm

The owners manual in our Acura MDX also states that a WDH is recommended when towing loads with heavy tongue weights as well.  I know MDX's prior to 2003 stated NOT to use a WDH, but in 2003 Acura (Honda) did extensive frame modifications to the MDX chassis to strengthen and reinforce it.

Jerry, Julie, Kaiti, & Abbi ~ Phoenix, AZ ~ 2010 172T ~ 2004 Acura MDX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic