r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake Controller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Controller
    Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 8:25am
Any recommendations on a brake controller?  I need to purchase one this week

Thanks
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 8:26am
Reese 5100 is a good one to get..
Rallye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rallye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 8:46am
I have a Tekonsha Voyager 9030. It is cheap $60 cdn easy to ajust and work well. Tekonsha have more advance brake controler (more expansive too).
Robert
Ford Escape and rpod 171
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 9:29am
I see your tow vehicle is a Ford Escape.  How is that working out?

I own a 2007 Escape V6, but wasn't planning to tow the 172 with it.

yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 7:21pm
We have the Prodigy 3P braking system, it came highly recommended from the "old timers" when we were looking.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
Wyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 7:34pm

I recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy, it is more expensive than the Voyager, but the Prodigy will be the only controller you will ever buy.  It is very easy to adjust, and does not have to be level to work properly.  I used a less expensive controller for a few years, and it needed constant adjusting to keep it working properly, and the braking was erratic.  The Prodigy is basically a set and forget controller.  Best of all, the braking is very smooth, which makes your rig much safer on the road.  Also, it will work with any trailer with one, two or even four axles.

Wyn & Gail
R-171
Hudson Valley, NY
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 7:56pm
REMOVED FOR COPYRIGHT

TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 12:13am
I just got a Tekonsha Primus IQ.  It's a proportional braking controller.

Terry
Rallye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rallye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 3:50pm
Look in the section 'rpod owners registry' and look the message 'my new rpod 171'
I give my first impression with my rpod 171 and a ford escape 2008 6 cyl. 4X4. I don't have much experience presently but it seems ok if not in a hurry! I do not use the overdrive. Will try it in few hills next weekend.

Robert 
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 11:44am
Another vote here for the Prodigy, from a long-time trailer-puller.  After years of fiddling with the old timer-style controllers, I bought a Prodigy about 5 years ago.  The first time out I had one of those slap-your-forehead moments and wondered why I hadn't bought one earlier.  The inertia-based system in the Prodigy makes the trailer feel like its part of the TV.

Come into the "other" light, get a Prodigy.
'10 Forest River R-pod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic