r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel seperation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistahs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 10:37am
Add our good wishes and thankfulness that you are OK. Your post makes the cost of the torque wrench I bought last week seem like a bargain! 
2010 R-POD 171
2003 FORD F-150
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 11:15am
I am so glad you are ok! Best wishes!
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 11:44am
I am glad  you are ok.  I had the same thing happen years ago with a boat and boat trailer at about 65 mph.  Life got real interesting real fast.  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 1:08pm
First Glad your both OK!

Can't tell from the picture but it looks like the tanks handled the impact (don't see fluid).

Do You have risers also can't tell from picture.

How many miles had you gone since the last check on the nuts?  Whenever I take my pod to the dealer I have him check my wheels and nuts (grease when needed).  Wonder if I should get more involved in that.  Trip to AUTO something cause I'm sure it's another tool.

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Skooterpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skooterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 8:07pm
I'd be willing to bet those nuts had been severely over-torqued, resulting in stripped threads and weakened/broken lugs.
Tamms View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 8:38pm

There's a sticker/placard on the by our tires that reads "Check lug nuts" or something similar. Now I know why. Glad everyone is okay.

Tammy, Robert, and Linus the morkie (Two & a Half Nerds)
'10 RP-174 (Nerd Pod)
'07 Dodge Ram 1500 quadcab
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 9:51pm
You'll be back on the road in no time ..... thanks for the experience, and thanks for being here.
rons-pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rons-pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 12:11am
Wow! Glad everyone is ok after that one. Must have been pretty scary. I will be checking my lug nuts before I hit the road again, for sure! 
Follow the Quest - MyWisdomQuest.com
2011 RP-171, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab TV
CCDAMEEK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCDAMEEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 10:04am
Once again, Thank You to all for the well wishes.  Amazing.  Hug
   We are still waiting for the repair shop to hear back from Forrest River on the repairs they will authorize.  Probably will hear from them today.   This particular shop has never worked with the r-pod division, but normal FR time frame to respond is about 3 business days.
   Shop states they need to replace the entire hub assembly, the rim, and the tire.   Plus they temporarily welded some lug posts on so the can move the rig around their shop as needed.  
   I will keep you all posted, and again, Thank You for the thoughtful messages.
Hug  Handshake   Beer
FREEDOM AINT FREE. THANK YOU TO OUR TROOPS, AND LOCAL LAW OFFICERS KEEPING US SAFE.

Francis & Christine D'Amico
Lake Havasu-Arizona
CCDAMEEK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCDAMEEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 7:33pm
Well, here it is Friday and I still had not heard back from the RV repair facility, so I called them.
   Turns out that Forrest River had questioned them about two things.  FIrst, since I had told them the unit traveled down the road for approximitely 1500' on it's hub, they were concerned if there was any axle damage (which was a NO).  I was very happy to hear about their concern.
   The second thing was if there was any indication of the lug nuts having been 'over' torqued.   The repair facility advised them NO, that the damage left behind indicated that the the studs had broken off causing the failure, but that there was none of the usual signs of over-torquing.
   Forrest River authorized the repairs but advised THE REPAIR FACILITY that they needed to send them all the replaced parts, and if THEY (Forrest RIver)  determined that if 'over-torquing' was to blame, that they would bill ME for the costs of repairs!
   THAT, I AM NOT too happy about, considering I was never asked ANY questions from Forrest River.    I am pleased they authorized the repairs, but not at a risk of being billed later, and never being asked a single question?
-----
   Sooooooo, where does this leave all of us r-poders?    To check lug nuts, as most of you have indicated you will do from now on as part of your routine.   Or, not to check them because forrest river might try to claim you 'over-torqued them? 
   Hum..............   I wonder how many different readings would result  if, say, 100 torque wrenches set to 100 psi were tested by an indepentant laboratory?
   I am guessing that more than 50% would test at other than a perfect 100 psi.
I'M JUST SAYING......................................................... 
FREEDOM AINT FREE. THANK YOU TO OUR TROOPS, AND LOCAL LAW OFFICERS KEEPING US SAFE.

Francis & Christine D'Amico
Lake Havasu-Arizona
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic