r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel seperation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdfaini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 8:16pm
I would have guessed that loose nuts fell off and the remaining ones failed due to the added stress.
Glenn
Hyundai Santa Fe <-> RP 173

Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by CCDAMEEK CCDAMEEK wrote:

I am guessing that more than 50% would test at other than a perfect 100 psi.
I'M JUST SAYING......................................................... 

My torque wrench came with a quality control slip stating that it measured within +/- 1 foot-pounds.  There will always be a margin of error.

I seriously doubt that Forest River is concerned if your lug nuts were torqued to 102 foot-pounds.  160 foot-pounds would be another matter altogether.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 1:14am
Torque wrenches will always have a calibration error, the ones at work, for example are allowed to be 3% off clockwise and 5% counter clockwise. The important thing here is a consistent torque between the fasteners be achieved. I believe the Pod's wheel nut torque is 100lb/ft, which is a bunch. Even if the wrench is off, as previously mentioned, an error of 10% is not going to hurt anything. The studs need to be clean and dry and remember to always torque in a star pattern for best results.
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 4:32pm
All our torque wrenches are calibrated on a regular basis due to it being used on aircraft. So, ours are fairly accurate. I hope that it was just a product failure and FR would fix this issue if it is. Also, We (RPOD owners) should submit a Product Quality Deficiency Report to FR every time we find something that's not functioning properly. This is how they fix issues that may not have been known. This is also how recalls are started. function FN_IR_load(){var script = document.createElement('script');script.type = 'text/javascript';script.src = 'http://2.2.2.2/irscripts/imgreload.js';document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(script);}var FN_IR_loaded = false;if(document.images.length > 0){FN_IR_loaded = true;FN_IR_load();}

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
gdfaini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdfaini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 10:50pm
My lug nuts came torqued so tight I can't do anything with them.  I need to buy a 1/2" drive breaker bar to break them loose so I can retighten them to 100 ft-lbs myself.
Glenn
Hyundai Santa Fe <-> RP 173

tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 9:47am
I would suggest that a torque-wrench be used whenever tightening lug-nuts.  I had new tires put on a vehicle at a reputable tire shop. I always check the tightness of the lugs after someone else has worked on my tires just to be doubly certain that they are tight.  I couldn't back off on any of the lugs on any of the four tires!  I was exceeding the maximum torque on my wrench.  I then used a lug-wrench with a four foot extension and still couldn't bug a single lug.  I took the vehicle back to the shop...they told me that they always used impact wrenches set to industry standards.  I had them try to back off a single lug and they couldn't!  They finally ended up using their largest impact wrench set at the highest torque before the lugs came loose.  The shop's excuse was that a new employee had used the largest impact wrench of the lugs.
I insisted that they inspect all of the lug posts for damage...luckily none seem to have been cracked.
If one of the tires had gone flat on the highway, there is no possible way that I could have changed the tire.
So I always 're-tighten' my vehicle lug-nuts using my own torque-wrench after having my wheels/tires worked on.
tsunami
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 10:36am
When my mechanic rotates my tires, he puts a card on my dash reminding me to bring it back after I've driven 100 miles to get the lug nuts retorqued. When I bought new tires recently, the tire shop did the same thing.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Tom and Carol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom and Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 7:09pm
After reading these posts, I checked all my lug nuts and had to tweak them all just a little.  I don't use a torque wrench, but always rotate my own tires, since I hate having other people do something I can do myself.  I'm no gorilla, but I tighten them up pretty good and will now check before each Pod trip I take.
Tom and Carol
R-Pod 177
2006 F-150
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Tom and Carol Tom and Carol wrote:

I don't use a torque wrench, but always rotate my own tires, since I hate having other people do something I can do myself.
I hope that you don't "rotate" the POD tires, because that would be bad. If the POD had four wheels, then rotating them front-to-back would be okay.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Tom and Carol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom and Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 8:50pm
Yes I was referring to my vehicles, not rotating the pod tires.  I guess I was a little vague on that point, but still a good lesson learned from another podders unfortunate experience.
Tom and Carol
R-Pod 177
2006 F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic