r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel seperation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCDAMEEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel seperation
    Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 6:14pm

Well, just returned from our Grand Canyon camping trip.  This is how it finished:

And this is the reason:

Notice anything missing?   Like two lug posts, three posts with threads, and a wheel?
   65mph on Route 66, felt a 'bump' like we ran over something invisible, and saw this in my rear view mirror.   I think I am glad I optioned for the anti-sway bar at purchase!
   I gotta say, it was going down the road very nicely without a wheel and tire.  Jeese.
   At a repair shop now.   Waiting on word of warranty, but is there any doubt?

Anyway, had a great camping trip, using the r-dome and rear bed fold down for the first time.   Just glad to be here to write about it.
FREEDOM AINT FREE. THANK YOU TO OUR TROOPS, AND LOCAL LAW OFFICERS KEEPING US SAFE.

Francis & Christine D'Amico
Lake Havasu-Arizona
psaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 6:26pm
That is incredible. Had the tire been removed since you bought it?
2011 RP177 "Sponge Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
P2 Brake Controller
psaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 6:26pm
Also and more important, glad you all are ok.
2011 RP177 "Sponge Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
P2 Brake Controller
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 8:22pm
Glad you and everyone else are OK. 
That is a catastrophic failure. 

Apparently the lug nuts were loose or came loose so I guess the lesson to be learned by everyone is to check their lug nuts for tightness OFTEN.  and then re-check them.
Thanks for sharing your misfortune with us so we can be reminded to do our service checks often.

I'm glad your camping trip went well and very, very glad you are here to tell us about it.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 8:51pm
Oh, WOW!!!! Glad you're okay, also. That would be soooo scary.

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
Phil H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 9:06pm
Glad to hear you're ok and you were able to stop the trailer without colliding with anyone else.

It looks like your fender and bodywork were not damaged. Was the wheel damaged? Can that brake drum be re-used? Hopefully the total bill isn't too bad.

I bought a spare lug wrench to keep in the trailer. Like Sandpiper said, we can hopefully all learn from your mishap by checking our lug nuts before every trip.

2010 R-pod 171 (sold)
2010 Surveyor SV251 towed by a 2010 Chevrolet Avalanche
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 11:00pm
I'm glad that you're OK and that you were able to safely stop your r-pod.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 1:15am
I had thought about the lug nut issue and have really considered buying an inexpensive torque wrench from sears to keep them all consistently tight. Had a really scary incident when the wife was pulling our 1977 Coleman Ticonderoga Pop-up and a bearing failed on Rt 70. Lost the tire, drum and most of the spindle. Not only did we never find the wheel assembly, it was really scary to think people were behind on the road when it failed. I am glad you had a good trip and that you are all safe. Guess I will add checking the lug nuts to my to do list before our next voyage out!
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
argh6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argh6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 2:47am
WOW!  I glad you came through ok.  No damage to the Pod is a testament I guess to the risers!
Jerry, Julie, Kaiti, & Abbi ~ Phoenix, AZ ~ 2010 172T ~ 2004 Acura MDX
CCDAMEEK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCDAMEEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 8:35am
Hug   Thanks everyone for the awesome well wishes.   Handshake
FREEDOM AINT FREE. THANK YOU TO OUR TROOPS, AND LOCAL LAW OFFICERS KEEPING US SAFE.

Francis & Christine D'Amico
Lake Havasu-Arizona
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic