r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Possible black water leak?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom and Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible black water leak?
    Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 8:08pm
Our Pod has been sitting a few weeks since we brought it home.  We had put a liquid treatment and a gallon of water down the toilet to the tank.  Well, we are taking it for our first camping trip this Labor day weekend.  I happened to open the cover to the black water discharge and maybe 1/2 cup of blue water came out.  Is this normal, or do I have a problem with the discharge valve?Confused
Tom and Carol
R-Pod 177
2006 F-150
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 9:15pm
I do occasionally get a tablespoon or two of sewer water when I open the sewer cap.  Some toilet paper may have gotten wadded around your knife valve.  Use your tank rinser and give it a good cleaning.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Tom and Carol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom and Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 10:04pm
Thanks for the reply.  There hasn't been any toilet paper in the tank yet, but since it has been a few weeks just sitting there, maybe it is normal.  I will keep an eye on it.
Tom and Carol
R-Pod 177
2006 F-150
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 12:30am
I would suggest making sure your gate valve is closed adding a bit more water to the black tank and checking for leaks again. Its noooo fun to open the cap and have a bunch of raw sewage come pouring out when you aren't expecting it. For that matter it wouldn't be pleasant to expect it eitherShocked
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 10:23pm
Been there, done that, had to burn the T-Shirt .....Dead

It happened after I did a back-flush and moved the trailer .... gate Valve may not be seating correctly when closed.
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 11:14pm
Mine has done this occasionally since it was new. I never fail to wear latex gloves.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Tom and Carol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom and Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 12:57pm
We went camping this weekend to Florida's east coast and I had no surprises when I went to dump.  I'm still going to be cautious since I can imagine what could happen.
Tom and Carol
R-Pod 177
2006 F-150
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 2:48pm
Don't forget: neighbouring children (and some mischievous adults) may find it fun to pull on your knife valves while you're away from your campsite.  You never know when you'll find a surprise when removing the sewer cap on your r-pod.  As HuronSailor said, gloves are a good idea.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic