r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cold weather camping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold weather camping
    Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 11:04am
Does one need to worry about freezing water in the pluming if the temps. drop below 32 overnight.  Ken
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 11:59am
I would think it will be ok if no lower than 25 for 4 hrs or so.  It has an element of risk.

Lark 171 F-150
Lark
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 12:24pm
I would think that if it was really going to be cold you could always turn the water heater on and let the hot water and cold drip through the night.
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 1:20pm
On our way back from picking up our pod last March we encountered some winter type weather with temps in the mid 20's and a couple of snow storms. We kept the pod warm with a ceramic heater and didn't have any problems with the pipes. We did have condensation on the inside of the pod. And it did warm up during the day.

I am curious about towing during cooler weather when it doesn't go above freezing in the daytime. I wonder if, without any heat being generated would the pipes and tanks freeze?

We really, really want to take the pod somewhere warm this winter.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
Skooterpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skooterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 10:22pm

I'm new to all this, but my plan is to keep RV-antifreeze in the system, not to drink or shower with, but simply to keep whatever water I wish to hold/drain into my tanks from freezing, and to enable flushing the toilet.  I can keep separate bottled water to drink and bathe and safely drain into the antifreezed tanks. 

Is there any reason why this plan won't work?  Thumbs Up Thumbs Down Question
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 12:48pm
Both the fresh water and waste tanks are suspended below the Pod exposed to outside freezing environment. they will freeze up!.  I carry water in 'jerry cans' in the Pod...and heat water on the stove, and use a plastic basin to discard kitchen sink water.  I winter camp in campsites which have
toilets available.  You don't want to haul around frozen water and broken plumbing pipes and valves.
My RV has 'heating wires' on its waste tanks, but even when heated I found that the waste valves tend to freeze up while dumping.
Think of your Pod as a 'heated tent' while winter camping.
tsunami
Okiepoders View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okiepoders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 11:37pm
On our vacation in Wyoming the last 2 weeks we woke up to ice on the pod windows twice in the upper mountain areas. On our way back to Okla we spent one night in the Snowy Range at 11,700 feet with no ice, but pretty cold temps that morning and then a night at a lower altitude 8600 feet with significant ice on the windows.  We worried most of the night about the pipes and the water heater, but they seemed to come thru okay.The temp apparently just dropped for a couple of hours at night....not sure I'd want to try it again though.
Pam
06 Nissan Xterra
Oklahoma Okiepoders
Dan & Pam
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 12:36am
Carry a bottle of RV antifreeze with you and when the temps get below freezing pour a little antifreeze in your drains and down your toilet tank.  A "tank" full of water will take several hours to completely freeze "solid".  We spent 3 nights in Yellowstone with below freezing nights and our 15 gal tank never froze.   The inside of our vehicle got down to 40 degrees inside with NO heat other then our body heat....burr it was cold in the AM.  What ever the temp was outside our inside temp was 20 degrees warmer.  We did not have antifreeze with us.  We owned 2 PUP's and we NEVER winterized and NEVER had any problems with pipes freezing.  We didn't know any better and were just lucky I guess.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 7:46am
Originally posted by yizit yizit wrote:

Carry a bottle of RV antifreeze with you and when the temps get below freezing pour a little antifreeze in your drains and down your toilet tank.  A "tank" full of water will take several hours to completely freeze "solid".  We spent 3 nights in Yellowstone with below freezing nights and our 15 gal tank never froze.   The inside of our vehicle got down to 40 degrees inside with NO heat other then our body heat....burr it was cold in the AM.  What ever the temp was outside our inside temp was 20 degrees warmer.  We did not have antifreeze with us.  We owned 2 PUP's and we NEVER winterized and NEVER had any problems with pipes freezing.  We didn't know any better and were just lucky I guess.

Wow. Were you living in WI at the time?

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 7:49pm
YEP.  One we owned for 5 years and the other 2 years (both were stored outdoors) before we bought our first travel trailer.  It was then we were told about winterizing the TT.  So like I said, I guess we were just lucky.  
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic