r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing the blinds with curtains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevin W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing the blinds with curtains
    Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 9:23am
We are finding that the venetian blinds in the sleeping area are a real problem with us bumping our heads or feet against them when we sleep.  Are there any curtains that would easily  replace the stock blinds.  Do they sell curtains specifically for RV's?  Any suggestions.  Or do we go to Home Depot and see what they have.   Thanks , Nevin 
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 9:59am
We are having the same issue.  I'm curious to see the responses on this one.
Let's hit the road!
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 10:34am
I'm going to go with Day-Night Shades on our Pod.  Camping World has them.  I had them in my motorhome and loved them.  The top layer is dark to stop light at night and the other layer is light so it lets light in but cuts the sun and stops people from seeing in. 

There is a plastic spool on each end at the bottom.  This spool is attached to the wall and has a history of breaking.  Go to a shop that sells sewing machine stuff and they have metal bobbins that are a perfect match.  No more breakage.

Terry
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 6:27am
    I checked out the day-night shades at camping world they were more than we wanted to spend. I want to think of some way to install curtains, any ideas. I agree the blinds the camper came with are a problem. The first thing I did was remove the clips the blinds secured to when in the down position. They were sharp and tore our mattress.  Smile  David and Danette
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 7:50am
I have seen where some people use a long spring like what they used to put on screen doors.  Thread that through the top of a curtain (that little tunnel thingy!LOL).  That way the curtain gives when hit or brushed against instead of breaking.

Terry
dragonfly's r-pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragonfly's r-pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 2:15pm
MAKE YOUR PLEATS IN THE FABRIC THEN ATTACH VELCRO TO THE FABRIC, THEN THE OPPOSITE PART OF THE VELCRO ON THE INSIDE OF THE HEADER.  WORKS LIKE A CHARM. 

MAGGIE
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 7:26pm
I'm still trying to figure out how to take the blinds off...LOL  I like the pleats and velcro idea.  I was thinking of using a tension rod.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 6:58pm
Figured out how to get the blinds off.  Bought some curtains from K-Mart that matches perfect with the front window.  A little cutting here and sewing there, got a tension rod and put them up.  Looks good and works great.  
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 4:39pm
_popupControl(); Have any photos?
Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 6:50pm
I don't have pictures but you can purchase them from Wal-mart.  They are called...Eclipse.  I bought one panel wide enough to cover the width, and long enough to cut in length for both windows.  They are room darkening which works great to keep out the sun.  They come in several colors.  Sewed the hem and sewed a pocket for the rod to slip thru.  I used the tension rods and inserted them just behind the window topper.  If you don't know how to sew you can buy mending tape or glue from a fabric store. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic