r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing shower faucet photos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DixiePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing shower faucet photos
    Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 3:39pm

For those podders with an RP 172 - 

I learned the hard way there is no access panel to the connections for your shower faucets!   Forest River did not put a panel in the 172 to access the water connections in the wall.  My shower faucet recently broke and when I called Forest River, they said they have now made an access panel that the customer can install on their own to access the inside of the wall where the connections are.   They sent me a panel free of charge, which I received today and have already installed.  Hope these photos help anyone that might need to change their shower faucet assembly.  I'm no plumber, but it was fairly easy to do!  I purchased a new faucet assembly at my local RV dealer for around $17.00.  It is a much nicer faucet than the factory one Forest River installed.

This is the 10 x 10 plastic panel that Forest River sends.  You will
have to drill the holes yourself.  I made a small hole and used my
dremel tool to round it our the size I needed.
Remove the old faucet from the wall of the shower using a box cutter.  This is 1/8" paneling, but the box cutter will do the trick if you go slowly and cut the wall several times.

Once the wall is cut completely, the old faucet can be disconnected.

This is the new faucet assembly (right)  and the panel (center) from Forest River. 
I had to cut 1" holes in the panel as well as 4 holes in the corners
to mount it to the shower wall.

I then mounted the faucet assembly to the panel from Forest River
and connected the water hoses to the back.  Don't forget to
run some water to test it!!!!

This is the finished product, complete with four screws in the corners and
silcon around the entire panel.

Like I said, I'm NOT A PLUMBER!!! I hope this helps all you 172 Podders if you have shower faucet issues!!  At least now I will be able to access what I need.  Hopefully won't need to again!!

Lisa
"DixiePod"
2010 R-Pod 172 "DixiePod"
Tow vehicle: 2001 Expedition (V-8 Triton)
Just podding along Looziana style!
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 3:54pm
Great JOB!!!! I've always said that a WOMAN with instructions is dangerous!  You make women Podders Proud!

Lisa I think it's a real shame you can't make it to the RoundUP this weekend.

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
DixiePod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DixiePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 4:04pm
Ha, ha, ha!  Thanks, Lee!  I appreciate that!LOL  I was a little nervous when I turned the water on to check it!

Yeah, I sure wish we could have made it.  The weather has just been spectacular, hasn't it!  I hope y'all take lots of photos for those of us who had to cancel!   Ooooh!  Y'all are going to have so much fun and the temperatures are going to be perfect!

We will have to try to get something else together soon!

Lisa
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 4:11pm

I was wondering exactly what FR had come up with. Nice job and good pics too. I'll mention the access panel when I call to order the cover for my own 172.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
DixiePod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DixiePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 4:28pm
Huron,
Thanks!  Hope the photos help everyone!  I was really nervous about doing it myself because I didn't know how anything was set up behind the wall!  On the other hand, the RV dealership's labor cost is $120/hourShocked so I decided to try!

Why they didn't put an access panel in the 172 is beyond me!  At least they will send the panel out for free!   They said they had so many complaints from 172 owners that they had to come up with something to correct the problem!

Fortunately, I was at home flushing my tanks when the faucet broke!

Lisa
flamingo_betsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flamingo_betsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 11:03pm
Excellent Job, Lisa.
I like to try my hand at projects like this as the labor charges would be totally unaffordable for me!
Thanks for the photos.
Betsy
Happping Podding from Flamingo Betsy, Dixie Doodle, our agility star, Hisaw's Indigo Rose, the crazy Aussie puppy, & the two JRT's, Sophie & Bouncer.
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 10:30am
Great job. Go Girl Power!!!

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistahs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 1:54pm
Great job, and let's hear it for women and tools!  I need to fix my shower also, but have a 171 so it should be easier to get to. Thanks for the pics. Nothing like a good picture to make things clear. 
2010 R-POD 171
2003 FORD F-150
DixiePod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DixiePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 5:24pm
Thanks, girls!Tongue

Appreciate the "Sister Podder" Support!
I love tools!  My sister calls me the "Tool Fool"!

Lisa

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic