r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DRAINING HOT WATER TANK?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibosket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DRAINING HOT WATER TANK?
    Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 2:58pm
Currently winterizing an r-pod 175 with a Suburban hot water tank.  I've drained the fresh water, leaving the hot water tank in-line with the system.  I then closed it's hot/cold water valves and turned on the by-pass valve, then blew out the water system with compressed air.  All went as planned.  However, both the general Forest River RV manual and the specific hot water heater manual both say to drain the hot water tank.  I can't find any way to do that, aside from what I've already done.  Does anyone know of a separate drain valve on the HWT?  Should I leave the HWT in-line when I blow out the system?  I don't want water in there over the winter here as the temps can easily reach -10 or lower.

Thanks!
Curt / 2009 r-pod 175 / 2010 Toyota Tundra
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 3:11pm
As far as I know, open the panel on the outside of the pod, remove the anode rod at the botttom of the tank and let the water drain out. Opening the pressure relief valve at the top of the tank will allow air to circulate and get more of the water out.
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
ibosket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibosket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 3:44pm
OK -- got it.  Do you know what size socket is needed for that?  

Thanks!
ibosket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibosket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 5:39pm
I measured -- it's a 1" fitting.  

Thanks!
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by ibosket ibosket wrote:

I measured -- it's a 1" fitting.  

Thanks!

A 1" socket did not work on mine. Had to buy a 17/16" (~ $10 at Ace Hardware).

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 10:35pm
My socket size is  1-1/16" to pull the anode rod. Then just use a little teflon tape to re-install. Do not over tighten the anode rod. Just remember to wrap the teflon tape the right way!
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
ka9nyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ka9nyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 12:29am
After draining my heater, I use a piece of semirigid plastic tubing, duct taped onto wet vac hose.

I use this rig to suck the last bit out. Worked well on my pop-up, so should be ok for
same heater on R-Pod.
Dave & Rose
Chamberlain, SD
2010 R-177 "ECM-Pod"
'08 Dodge RAM quad cab 5.7L 4WD "Rhino (re: F-4 Phantom)"
Exelon Nuclear (Retired)
US Army Corps of Engineers (Current)
gepaine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gepaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 1:38am
If you blow out your water lines (rather than fill them with anti-freeze), you can leave the water heater "inline" with the rest of the system. There is no need to bypass it.
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT- Life is not just about gas mileage!
Cityfox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 8:07am
Our 151 takes an 1 1/6" socket w/3/4 drive.  I only had a 1/2" drive so I had to buy a 1/2, 3/4 drive adapter for my 1/2" drive.  It worked out great.  I had to do that very thing last month.  In fact, we drain our hot water heater after every camping trip and I keep my tools right in the POD or truck.  On suggestion, if you remove the drain plug, it had a rod attached to it similar to a residential hot water heater.  Make sure when you put it back in the threads line up properly.  If it gets crossed threaded, leaks could develop.  I also use teflon tape on the threads when I put the plug back in.  Good luck
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Cityfox Cityfox wrote:

Our 151 takes an 1 1/6" socket w/3/4 drive.  I only had a 1/2" drive so I had to buy a 1/2, 3/4 drive adapter for my 1/2" drive.  It worked out great.  I had to do that very thing last month.  In fact, we drain our hot water heater after every camping trip and I keep my tools right in the POD or truck.  On suggestion, if you remove the drain plug, it had a rod attached to it similar to a residential hot water heater.  Make sure when you put it back in the threads line up properly.  If it gets crossed threaded, leaks could develop.  I also use teflon tape on the threads when I put the plug back in.  Good luck

1-1/16" sockets for 1/2" drive are readily available so there's no need to buy the socket and the adaptor. I paid about $10 for the socket at Ace Hardware.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic