r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DRAINING HOT WATER TANK?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 10:31pm
I can't give an intelligence chemical discussion as to why you should replace the anode but I can give an  economical reason.   A replacement anode will cost somewhere around $15.00 and last at least 3 years ($5 per year) and can be replaced in about 10 minutes.  A replacement hot water heater will cost some where around $ 280 to $300 and take about an entire half a day to replace. Some how I doubt you would get 5 years out of a water heater without an anode but I could be wrong but guessing 5 years that would work out to be at least $56 per year.

Personnally I will take the former route and replace the anode.
The other point in favor of replacing the anode is the manufacturer wouldn't put them in if they weren't needed and save the cost . 
Now maybe one of our chemists can chime in and give us the chemical reason for replacing it or look it up in in  Wikipedia. Well OK I will.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrificial_anode#Choosing_the_Correct_Anode

I do know the anode doesn't coat the inside of the water heater but the reacted material is carried off in the water.  As stated in Wikipedia, the anodes used in fresh water are magnesium and in brackish water are aluminum and in sea water are usually zinc.

Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 12:51am
I am always amazed at the information shared here and the experts that we have. Thanks so muchHug
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 6:51am
My undergrad degree is in Chemistry.  So I will offer an explaination that may be helpful.  Water has nasties Angry that love to attack (chew holes in) the walls of your hot water heater.  The water being hot (at times) speeds up this attack. Think of the anode rod as CHOCOLATE YUMMIES Pig for the nasties Angry in the water.  They attack the anode rod, leaving our water heaters alone.  I hope this helps.  Smile  Rob
ps.  Either it's this explaination or the one with lots of long words, funny letter and number combinations, and guaranteed to put you to sleep very quickly. 
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 9:55am
Rob
Where were you when I had to struggle through Physical Chemistry  Dead   on my way to getting my piece of paper back in the dark ages ?   Question 
You could have given me the simplified explanations when I needed them.
Now I understand everything I need to know about anodes.  Thumbs Up
I kept getting hung up on Mg's and Al's and +'s and -'s  and anions and cations and electron's crawling around and all that boring stuff.
Thanks for helping me get it straight  .  Wink
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 11:17am
Haha Sandpiper,
My P-Chem professor frequently didn't show up to class on time. (I had to have four semesters of P-Chem too!)  So we would have to go find him.  We often found him talking to a wall, in one building or another on campus.  I think all those "+" and "-" had done him in too!  LOL  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 11:23am
Did I really hear "chocolate' and "chemistry" in the same post?  This is a great place!
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
Mary & Don View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary & Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 1:46pm
Thanks for the intellligent answers.  I think we will opt to replace the anode.  Next summer will be our 3rd year so will check it out at the end of the season.
Mary & Don
R-Pod 175
Columbus, Ohio

Life is good in R-Pod!
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Outbound Outbound wrote:

Quote So how do you know when to replace?

Technically, the anode should be replaced when most of the sacrificial material (usually aluminium, sometimes magnesium) has been eaten away, leaving just the metal core.  But, as most of us check the anode once a year, it should be done when there's not enough sacrificial material left to last until the next time you check the anode.  The speed at which the anode wears away differs depending on the water; for me, it seems to be three seasons.

You can buy a replacement plug+anode from most any RV dealership.

Camping World's Suburban anode page has a good picture of a new and worn out anode.

After reading the above post and checking my manual and then searching for the part number (232767) on the web and reading camping worlds description for their rod, supposedly suburban # 231767,  as being aluminum when other sites said the same part number was magnesium I gave up and wrote an e-mail to Suburban for clarification.

Asking them if  the rod in our water heaters, part # 232767 aluminum or magnesium ?
Today I received an answer from Mr Louie  Richard, assistant service manager. 
A copy of his reply is shown below.

"
The 232767 is magnesium And the 232768 is aluminum.

All Suburban water heaters are manufactured with a magnesium rod. We
recommend the use of the aluminum rod for appliance users who will use the
appliance in harsh supply water environments such as the desert southwest.
These harsh water conditions will rapidly consume the standard magnesium rod
but the aluminum has a slower consumption rate that allows it to work longer
in those conditions yet its rate of consumption is too slow to provide
adequate protection under normal water conditions.

Louie Richard
Assistant Service Manager
Airxcel, Suburban Products "

I hope this is helpful for everyone. It cleared it up for me and the camping world description for part number 232767 is incorrect.

Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic