r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

120VAC 15/20 amp plug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmalys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 120VAC 15/20 amp plug
    Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 4:18pm
So, new to RVing.  Picking up my 172 on Wed. 

My question is, can I run my A/C and Microwave while pluged into the side of my house's 120VAC 15/20 amp receptical?  If not, what can I run with it?  The entertainment center, will doing that charge the battery?  

Also, would you reccomend buying a 15/20 amp to 30 amp converter plug so I can plug my Yamaha 2400is-hc inverter generator in with the supplied 30 amp cable (the yamaha generator has normal 20 amp house hold plugs). 
Thanks, I realize these are probably amature questions, but like I said I am new to the whole RVing experience and I could not find the answers via a search. 
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 5:04pm
Congrats on the new pod, and thank you for your military service.

You won't be able to run both AC and micro at the same time, but either one individually should run OK. Provided the electric water heater is off. If the WH is on, probably adding either the AC or Micro will trip you out (man.)

Someone else with more generator experience will come along soon to answer those questions.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 6:10pm
I agree with Huron, but there is a caveat. It also depends what else is running on that circuit you're trying to tap into. As you know there are only a few outlets in the house with its own circuit breaker; these are mainly the high drain items such as A/C. So, if you have other this running on that 15/20 A circuit, then you may not be able to run either. Your circuit breaker is there to ensure you don't cause a fire; however, you should make a habit of not going over the power produced and rely on the circuit breaker to catch it.

15A x 115V =  1725W (That means your POD's A/C or microwave and a few small items)
20A x 115V =  2300W (That means your POD's A/C or microwave and a few more small items)

Your POD should have a "dogbone" 20A to 30A. If not, then it would be a wise investment.

Hope that helps.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic