r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RPOD mattress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uphillracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPOD mattress
    Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 1:01pm
Our first night out after picking up our new 171 told me the mattress was barely acceptable. As luck would have it we had an aero-bed we used to use for excess sleep-over company. It fit perfectly on the bed and now gives us a lovely air mattress to sleep on. Since we have a sleep number bed this feels good. It was easy to bring in un-inflated and easy to inflate once layed out. It should make accessing the winterizing plumbing easier since I can deflate it to do so.
Uphill, Di, Tracer & Jorja
2011 RPOD 171
2008 LR3
peachpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 8:44am
I hear ya on the mattress!  We use our dinette as a permanent bed in our 173.  Since it's not quite a queen (length or width), we got a 2 in. mattress topper and cut it to fit.  I was afraid that an air mattress wouldn't fit.  Otherwise, we would've gotten one, too. 

Happy camping!
Beth and Joe
2010 R-Pod 173
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Maryjo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 9:04am
Originally posted by peachpod peachpod wrote:

I hear ya on the mattress!  We use our dinette as a permanent bed in our 173.  Since it's not quite a queen (length or width), we got a 2 in. mattress topper and cut it to fit.  I was afraid that an air mattress wouldn't fit.  Otherwise, we would've gotten one, too. 

Happy camping!

Hi peachpod. I also do the same thing. Since it is just me, I put my sleeping bag on top of the foam, double it and it is pretty comfy. If I get cold, I just unfold the bag and slip inside. I use the space  under the table for storage. My dog sleeps on the couch. He climbed in bed with me one night and that did not work out very well....................LOL He weights about 70 lbs.

Not many 173's out there. Glad to see another one.

FoxyPod (Maryjo)2010 R-Pod 173 Tow Vehicle:2004 Expedition
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 9:39am
Dittos on the mattress!
We have a 173 and since there is a snoring issure in our pod...I do make up the bed in the dinette EVERY time :)  The two chihuahua mixes sleep with me and the border collie mix sleeps where ever she wants to which is usually wherever you need to go...
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 10:29am

When I'm in the bed, my head hits one side and my feet hit the other side. Also, climbing over each other in the middle of the night is really a PITA.

Turning the dinette into a bed solves the "climbing over" problem but does not help with the head and feet problem. So, on our last trip I took the cushions from the dinette, put them end-to-end in the pod's "hallway", and slept there. There's way over 6' on the floor so my head and feet don't hit anything. We have a 177 with the slide out so we have more width in the hallway than non-slides (I think). Anyway, it worked out pretty well as long as my wife remembers I'm down there when she steps out of bed in the middle of the night :willy:

Since we're not using the dinette as a bed, we don't have to remove all of our junk from the table each night to set it up to be a bed. Of course the dinette cushions suck regardless of whether you're using them on the dinette bed or on the floor so our plan is to have a foam mattress custom made to the width and length of our "hallway" and covered. During the day, we can just throw the mattress up on the big bed out of the way. If the place that makes the mattress can figure out a way to "hinge" it in the middle or make it in 2 pieces, that will make handling and storage even easier.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
YakDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 5:20am
I agree with the head/feet issue. Since wife/dog sleep on the dinette, I usually try for an angle across the bed. Even this is not a satisfactory solution. Still working on this one.
YakDriver, Ain't Leo, Chaz and Lil Harry in grrr-Pod

2013 r-Pod 182G Hood River; 2013 Ford F150 STX

YakDriver's Blog
BSAJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 5:08pm
Out first night in the r-pod was not all we hoped for either. The mattress has to be the poorest element of the r-pod.

Theproblem with a 177 is that the mattress is locked on all 4 sides, and requires a short queen. We could not find a local supplier, until we went to Camping World (we had previously been to this RV temple and did sacrifice with our credit card).

They have a "mattress in a box". I was highly skeptical until I read the many reviews and gave it a go (besides, it was on sale).

The Queen-short mattress comes in a box 18"x18"x60". The mattress is rolled up and wrapped in plastic. You place the roll on the bed platform, cut the plastic, and out rolls a full-depth inner-spring mattress. I wish I had a video camera. It was amazing. I with that I could roll it up and watch it again, but there is NO way that is happening.

The mattress is firm and very comfortable.
Jim & Carmen - San Jose, CA
r-pod 177 and V-6 Highlander
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by BSAJim BSAJim wrote:

Out first night in the r-pod was not all we hoped for either. The mattress has to be the poorest element of the r-pod.

Theproblem with a 177 is that the mattress is locked on all 4 sides, and requires a short queen. We could not find a local supplier, until we went to Camping World (we had previously been to this RV temple and did sacrifice with our credit card).

They have a "mattress in a box". I was highly skeptical until I read the many reviews and gave it a go (besides, it was on sale).

The Queen-short mattress comes in a box 18"x18"x60". The mattress is rolled up and wrapped in plastic. You place the roll on the bed platform, cut the plastic, and out rolls a full-depth inner-spring mattress. I wish I had a video camera. It was amazing. I with that I could roll it up and watch it again, but there is NO way that is happening.

The mattress is firm and very comfortable.

Do you have a model number for that mattress? I can't find it on the Camping World website.

Thanks,
-- Steve

BSAJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:11pm
Steve,

Here is the link:

Best of luck...

Jim
Jim & Carmen - San Jose, CA
r-pod 177 and V-6 Highlander
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 7:05am
Originally posted by BSAJim BSAJim wrote:

Steve,

Here is the link:

Best of luck...

Jim

Thanks, Jim. That looks like a solution. We'll check out that mattress when we unwrap the circus wagon in the spring. We've tried 2 different air beds but didn't like them.

-- Steve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic