r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rear view camera r177

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr*****k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear view camera r177
    Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 11:56am
I installed a Peak Backup camera as a Rear View mirror camera on my r177.  Since the TV cabinet is located on the back wall, it was easy.... Just one hole drilled in the back wall about 2 inches above the window.  I drilled the hole from the inside out...1/2 way between the cabinet and window.  Here are the photos.
1. the camera system. 
2. a 12 volt battery and RF transmitter
3. 7 inch monitor
4. Mounted camera
The tricky part was making sure that the camera was angled down at the correct angle.  I needed to set the r pod on the hitch and use the monitor to set the angle.  I used model putty ( walmart) to keep the angle then screwed in the camera and used clear silicone caulk to fill in all the gaps and make it leak proof.  I disconnect the battery when not in use.  I will install a solar panel trickle charger/ rechargable battery next season.  I drove to Atlantic City last weekend and the system worked perfectly.
George Kata
2 P's in a r Pod

Leaflin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leaflin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 10:17am

Thumbs Up
Kool Idea!
Leaf-Pod 173
97 Ford Explorer
http://www.leaflin.net
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 3:19pm
What Model did you use (Peak).  I have been unable to find a camera with 7" LCD.  Where did you get it.

Great Mod

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
YakDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 5:04am
Great mod! Now to do that with my side mirrors. Maybe a tiny fairing at the front marker lights. Hmmmm....
YakDriver, Ain't Leo, Chaz and Lil Harry in grrr-Pod

2013 r-Pod 182G Hood River; 2013 Ford F150 STX

YakDriver's Blog
dr*****k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr*****k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 9:27am
Lee, I got it on eBay. It is sold as a Peak backup camera.  If you wire it into your backup lights, then it works as a back up camera.  If you give it a continuous power supply, then it works as a rear view mirror.  It is designed to mount onto your license plate holder, but on my r 177, the plate is to the side and partially obscured by the spare tire.  I found the spot above the rear window was excellent and gave the widest and clearest view.  There is almost no blind spot when combined with my standard rear view side mirrors. Right now I just have it wired to a 12 volt lantern battery.  The cabinet location on the rear wall is excellent for that and the transmitter, but I'm sure you can figure out a convenient spot for all floor plans. Next season, I plan on replacing the 12 volt battery with a rechargable 12 V/solar system with the solar panel above the camera.
Hope that it helps.
George
dr*****k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr*****k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 9:29am
I forgot to say that with the lantern battery, I just unplug it when not in use.
tompearce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:45am
Hi all.  Take a look at my rear view camera installation posted in 2009 in maintenance, tips and tricks titled "wireless rear view camera" with pictures.  This allowed switching the camera on and off from the car's dash.  Regards, Tom Pearce
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic