r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Canister (Regulator?) Whistling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Canister (Regulator?) Whistling
    Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 5:26pm
While camping this weekend, we noticed that our gas canister (regulator) made this strange whistling noise whenever the furnace kicked on.  Does anyone know what could cause this?

Also, our electric space heater died this weekend, and it had been fine when we had our other camper.  I don't know if the above mentioned whistling sound had something to do with the electrical system or what?  Has anyone had electrical issues with their Pods?  I'm wondering if something made it overload and short out.  It also doesn't work at home, so it's dead.  The plugs in the Pod still work - our coffee maker is okay, and so is my hair dryer, as well as the microwave and T.V.
Beth and Joe
2010 R-Pod 173
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Ned View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 3:11pm
Mine did the same. Very noisy when water heater and furnace on. My dealer replaced it on warranty.
Ned
Rocket Pod RP-173
Miramichi, NB
2005 Ford Escape
peachpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Ned Ned wrote:

Mine did the same. Very noisy when water heater and furnace on. My dealer replaced it on warranty.
Thanks for the response!  I'm off work today, so I'm taking it to the dealer for them to look at.  Ours is very loud!  We can hear it clearly from inside the camper with the windows closed, and it can also be heard from neighboring campsites! Embarrassed
Beth and Joe
2010 R-Pod 173
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 8:55am
Originally posted by peachpod peachpod wrote:

I don't know if the above mentioned whistling sound had something to do with the electrical system or what?

The noise you're hearing is the propane regulator, which in no way is connected to nor has anything to do with your electrical supply.

The 120v electrical system on your r-pod is very basic.  Essentially, there is a distribution panel with a couple of breakers to protect your r-pod's wiring from overloading.  There's really nothing there that would cause an electrical appliance to overload or short out.  However, if the campground supply was of questionable quality (undervolting is a common problem, for example), this would be passed through to any appliances connected inside your r-pod.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 9:29am
If you do a search you'll find a number of posts on small plug-in electrical testers that are easy to carry in a glove box or in the pod. That way you can check your campground's electrical supply when you set up. I carry one in my toolbox, they're fairly inexpensive.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
peachpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 3:43pm
We bought a voltage protector with the pod at our dealer.  It plugs into the box, then our cord plugs into it.  That should protect any surges, shouldn't it?
Beth and Joe
2010 R-Pod 173
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by peachpod peachpod wrote:

We bought a voltage protector with the pod at our dealer.  It plugs into the box, then our cord plugs into it.  That should protect any surges, shouldn't it?

Surges, yes.  Brownouts (undervolts), no.

The only equipment you have to worry about that's sensitive to undervolts is your air conditioner.  When the mid-afternoon sun is beating down and every air conditioner in the park is on max is usually the problem time.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
rmaco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 8:33am
You can buy a voltage regulator that protects your electrical system from that kind of stuff but they typically cost quite a bit.

okiecamper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okiecamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 2:35pm
my gas regulator does the same thing
dealer told me it was normal

asked if it cud br replaced uncder warranty and they said no
because it doesnt inhibit the flow of gas

they wouldnt warrant  it.

my rv mechanic said alot of them do it, and it poses no problem.

there are storms in life, the secret is to learn how to dance in the rain

2010 172
2006 chevy siverado 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic