r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air Conditioner Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 10:56am
Yes, the A/C is loud.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but we have 11,000Btu A/C units which should be enough to cool a 450sq ft.  My r-172 is about 120sq ft.  So we have about 3 times the power needed.  When you in the southern areas of the country in the summer is a good thing.  Plus we are in close quarters it's going to be loud no matter where we are, since we have 3 times the power needed.  

I since I sleep on the bottom buck after the first nights out I found not enough air got to me and Myra got to much.  Picked up a 12" fan at walmart, then point in at the bunks.  I set the A/C temp a little high and just keep the air moving around.  My fan is much quieter.  When the temp get warm enough the a/c kicks in long enough to kool and then it's off.

There's my two cents and please check the figures you techies.

Keep KOOL
Lee

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
David View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 12:51pm
For those who don't like the cycling on and off, BillB posted a mod on June 28 (page 4 of Maintenance Tips and Tricks).  It allows the fan to run all the time, with the compressor cycling as needed.  I have not done it yet, and may try it before swapping it out with a smaller Coleman or Carrier.  It is too loud, for me, and the cycling wakes me up.  I agree that it probably too large for a well insulated, small square footage camper.  That's my 2 cents.
David
RP173
Hope to see you "out there"

David - weird guy with a wolf
Dixie - German Shepherd
RP173 - "Campground Assault Vehicle 1"
2009 Silverado 5.3L V8
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 2:10pm
The newer A/C units with the thermostats on the wall don't need the modification.  They have a "fan on" switch.  But its the fan that's too loud to begin with...
'10 Forest River R-pod 171
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2009 at 5:01pm
I ran across this story today and thought I'd resurrect this thread.

It looks like Carrier will no longer be manufacturing its RV air conditioners as of the new year.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 3:39am
Wow.  Never thought I'd see the day...
'10 Forest River R-pod 171
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 3:49am
Being more concerned with AC issues than heating issues ( plug in a heater ),
has anyone looked into the cost of replacing the standard AC with something
quieter and more power efficient ???
I'm not sure how the adaptability runs with this type of mod.

HAPPY PODing !!!
duder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 5:30am
We had our AC replaced with the Carrier unit, which we love! I hope that there will be no service issues though if Carrier is not going to produce them any longer.Ouch
Chuck and Bev
2010 R-Pod 172

Happy Trails!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic