r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air Conditioner Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 5:56pm
The Dometic AC is the loudest RV air conditioner, both the Coleman and Carrier are significantly quieter.  We noticed with the Dometic we had to talk very loud to hear each other, with the Carrier we had installed, we can talk at a normal volume, and the Carrier cools better.

Other than the Dometic AC, the R-Pod is a well made, quality trailer that we expect will give us many years of good service.  We are very happy with our 171.
Wyn & Gail
R-171
Hudson Valley, NY
clevispin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clevispin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 5:15pm
The dometic unit in my new 175 just seems impossibly loud. I don't care about whether the fan switches on/off w/the compressor ... it's just that when the unit comes on it absorbs your whole attention.

Am I just going to have to live with this, or is Forest River open to hearing about it?

And, what does the carrier unit run if I want to swap out?

Tom
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 6:58pm
Yes it is loud..wish we would have known it before we took delivery and could have swapped it out.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009 at 6:32am
I too believe the unit to be loud and it has awakened me in the night.

I also think the size of the Pod's is leading to the sound level.  It is just not a big space to have such a large fan blowing. 

How can they be so quiet outside?
Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009 at 8:08am
You could always make a deal now with the dealer, or try to sell the new Dometic privately and then buy the Carrier.  Probably a loss either way, but worth it.  I'm thinking of doing the later.   As I've mentioned on another thread, I'm also thinking about adding a motor control inside the unit to reduce the RPMs of the fan.
'10 Forest River R-pod 171
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009 at 8:41am
It's louder inside so it is not loud outside to disturb other campers.  I wouldn't like it if I had a noisy RV parking next to me while at a state campground.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
geneowens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009 at 9:16am
I think I've said this but it bears repeating - 11k is more BTUs than the Pod needs even with the slide - I ran my Coleman Polar Cub in my PUP again this week and on low it is very quiet and cools the PUP in this 90 degree heat very well. The Cub is 8K BTU. I would never consider adding a 13.5K unit to the POD! I really like being able to cool the POD with only 1 Honda EU2000i which I can do with the 11k Dometic. The Honda easily runs the Polar Cub, Fridge and converter all at the same time in the PUP.
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009 at 9:46am
     Is there anything someone could do to make the AC a little more quiet. Any ideas, someone said lowering the fan speed may help if compressor would not freeze up. What makes it so loud ?  Thankyou for your comments.    David 
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
TXBoondocker1217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXBoondocker1217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2009 at 5:16pm
We turned our AC on at 6 pm Friday the 21st and turned it off on Sunday the 23rd.  The first night I forgot to turn the AC Auto off and the think woke me up every time it cycled.  It sounded like it was gonna come out of the ceiling.  The second night I set the fan to run and we slept like a baby (of course we were tired that night also).  Just wonder if that jerking of the fan is good for the system??  It sure don't sound good.  Think I will mention it to the dealer.
Steve & Carole
Scooter & Sophy(4 legged kids)
2010 RP-172 R-Pod "Rose Pod"
2008 Toyota 4Runner "Rose Pedal

How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you are??
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 7:26am
Originally posted by TXBoondocker1217 TXBoondocker1217 wrote:

Just wonder if that jerking of the fan is good for the system??  It sure don't sound good.  Think I will mention it to the dealer.

Jerking?  I wouldn't call the sound of my air condiitoner fan (or compressor) starting up as anything like jerking...  Its loud, but no more so than standing next to a standard window air conditioner, and I have no sense of anything moving about (apart from the fan turning).  Speaking with your dealer sounds like a good idea.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic