r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air Conditioner Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan and Linda Irvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Conditioner Questions
    Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 12:09pm
Cry Ok, what did we decide on about the air conditioners? Is the fan supposed to cycle with the compressor or not. We used it this weekend and the fan only ran when the compressor was running. The instructions say that the fan is to run continuosly and then the a/c will kick in. 
Another question is; is the A/C designed to run on 30 or 50 amp. service? I can't find that information anywhere. 

RPod Admin your input would be appriciated.

Thanks, Stan
Stan and Linda
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 12:16pm
Not the Admin but the AC runs on 30amp. and on mine the fan runs only when the compressor runs.

Terry
capringl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capringl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 4:07am
Mine does the same.
Craig
R-Pod 172
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Wyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 7:06pm
Stan, I posted the issues I had with the Dometic A/C in the Maintenance Issues section.  To answer your question though, the Dometic is designed to have the fan cycle on and off with the compressor, the manual is wrong.  This was confirmed by the Engineering Dept. of Dometic.  There is not a way to modify the unit to have the fan run continuously.  Neither Dometic or Forest River would do anything to correct this deficiency.  My dealer did work with me though to swap out the Dometic for a Carrier, I paid the labor cost.
Wyn & Gail
R-171
Hudson Valley, NY
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 2:56am
Mine is the same way.  Initially I thought mine was broken because it didn't kick on and off that often.  But if I had been paying attention, it was always cool for long periods of time.  This little unit is very well insulated.
Let's hit the road!
rabuol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabuol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 4:05pm
So is anyone satisfied with their Dometic AC in theri r pod ???

The more I read about this unit, the more I fear that it is not a good unit

The thing that really gets me is that Forest River is not issuing a recall on the unit...so it must be OK!

Come on r podners.....respond....are you or are you not satisfied with the unit ?

Is there anyone out there not having problems ???

Lou

yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 6:22pm
We have not had any problems so far with our 172.  We have spent 10 days in it.  We used the  A/C only for short periods of time while working on projects on the inside.  We'll be taking it out for the weekend and the weather looks like it'll be warm enough for us to use it.  We haven't boon dock yet, so can't say how everything would work without hookups.  We have been very pleased with our little Rpod.  We have a great dealer we've been working with. I'm sure you'll find more positive remarks.  No complaints and we love it. 
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 5:52am
   We like the Dometic A/C  it is a little loud. The fact that the fan turns off with the compressor I think it is a pluss, it is a time of it being quiet. We live in south florida and recently went camping in 96 degree weather with high humidity. The A/C performed well, we were very thakful for it. As far as reliability I can only guess that Dometic is good quality, there refrigerators seem good. Big smile  Happy camping   David and Danette
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 10:53am
Mine will be getting a test this Sunday to Wed. when I go playing with my Jeep.  I have used it some and it is VERY loud.  I'll try to remember to give a report when I get back home.

Terry
Stan and Linda Irvin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan and Linda Irvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 3:21pm
Don't get me wrong we are happy with ours too. We just were concerned that it wasn't cycling right. We went to  the race the other night, left it to do it's thing and upon our return it was pleasingly cool. 
Stan and Linda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic