r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp ground review and recommendations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Natchez Trace Parkway - tips?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natchez Trace Parkway - tips?
    Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 7:47pm
Hey there 'podders...

I haven't been through here in a while, but we're planning to take the 'pod on a little Thanksgiving week cruise.  We're going to head up from Lafayette to meet some family at Big Cedar Lodge near Branson (Table Rock Lake), then head over to Nashville for a couple of days of sightseeing, then head back home via the Natchez Trace Parkway.

There are plenty of spots around, and available, for our Branson and Nashville stops, but I'm challenged as to how we should handle the Trace.  I haven't really done a lot of investigating yet, though I've identified a couple of resources I need to review.  In the meantime, does anyone have any tips about traveling/camping the Trace? We're going to do the whole thing end-to-end, and will likely want to drive the remaining 3-4 hours from Natchez home on the last day.  We'll have 3-4 days to get the Trace segment done - if 4, we want a short one on the last day.

If you have any tips for the Branson/Nashville segments, those are welcome too, though we're not likely to do much in Branson besides visit family, and we probably already have a full slate for the couple days we'll spend in Nashville (Grand Ole Opry, Country Music HOF, Gruhn's Guitars, Corvette Plant tour in nearby Bowling Green, KY).
camping > working
------------------------
2011 176, 2011 Ram 1500
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 10:41pm
The only thing I remember about the Natchez Trace Pkwy was that it was 55mph and very boring.  It has been years since we were there. Traveled it on our way to see LSU with our daughter.
Have you been to Mammoth Cave?  If you are in Bowling Green, I think you will be fairly close to the caves.
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 3:53pm
2011 Visa 23RBK pulled with 2010 Nissan Titan. 12.5 MPG when towing.
The Most Beautiful Thing In Life Is The Ability To love.
www.BillyAdeliza.homestead.com
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 4:01pm
When in Nashville please take the time to see the Parthenon. It is an exact replica of something the Greeks built by hand over 2,500 years ago. Very impressive!
2011 Visa 23RBK pulled with 2010 Nissan Titan. 12.5 MPG when towing.
The Most Beautiful Thing In Life Is The Ability To love.
www.BillyAdeliza.homestead.com
profmagickb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote profmagickb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 2:00pm

It's been a while since I've been out that way, but I seem to remember there being nothing out there but beautiful scenery.  My advice is to don't plan on any stops for supplies like food or gas, get when you can because you might not see another place for a while.  The speed limit is 55, I've heard that if you get a ticket there it is a fedral matter, whatever that means.  Have fun and good luck.

Big Cedar is awesome, we just went a few months ago and had a great time.  The presidential suite is fantastic it's the 1300 block.  On the way up I would suggest stopping by the diamond mine near Murfreesboro, Arkansas (if you go that way).  It's the only one in America and you keep whatever you find.  Google Crater of Diamonds.

I have good ideas....... sometimes
2011 176T
why don't you come with me little girl, on a magic R-pod ride
david950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 2:45pm
Thanks for all of your replies.  Billy Bob, the site you found was very worthwhile - I thought I'd been to the NPS site before and found it lacking, but I must've been thinking of something else.

In the end, we're going to spend an extra day (Thanksgiving Day) in Nashville to reduce the risk of traveling through the middle of nowhere on a holiday.  I've read that not much is on the Trace, that you have to get off for gas and food, so I'm definitely going to watch out for that.

Pepper, we're definitely taking your idea for Mammoth Caves.

Once on the Trace, we're going to spend the first night near Tupelo, and the second in Port Gibson.  That divides up the trip from Nashville to home quite nicely.  Now if I can just get this work week finished so we can hit the road!

UPDATE: I read that speeding tickets are $100 per 1 mph over the speed limit, doled out by undercover authorities.  Ouch!

Dave
camping > working
------------------------
2011 176, 2011 Ram 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic