r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camping for Thanksgiving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 9:44pm
This is the first year that we are camping for Thanksgiving.  Normally, we both work on  black Friday and since we had the day off this year and not on call, we are going to try Kiptopeke state park in Cape Charles Va.  It is supposed to rain there on T-day but we are going to try anyway.  It will be my first time to the eastern shore area of Va so I am looking forward to it.  Temps are only supposed to be in the 50's during the day and 30's to 40's at night.  The pod is packed and we are ready to leave after work tomorrow night!!! Yeah.   Hopefully, the family will forgive us for skipping out this year. 
Terri and Craig and Panzer
R-pod 175, 2009
2000 F250 XLT Extended Cab, Diesel
Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 10:56pm
Oh my goodness, I love those pictures!!  Glad to know we can cook a bird in the pod.  Wish we could go camping for Thanksgiving.  :(
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2010 Silverado
Gerald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 3:15pm
Hi Phil, the turkey that Outbound cooked looks great. My wife wanted to cook a turkey in the convection microwave but we dicided not to and barbecued turkey pieces instead. Going to try one in the spring. We camped at Ferris Provincial Park on thanksgiving. The main reason for chosing that park was we knew it wouldn't be busy at thanksgiving. It was nice not to have to line up at the dump station at the end of the weekend, gave the Pod a real good flush out with no body waiting behind us.
Maybe we might run into you and Outbound at a park next year. Have a great winter.
2010 R-Pod 177 / 2009 GMC Canyon 4X4

Gerald, Lydia and the Boys (2 Shelties) ..........Canuck Podders
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cane2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 3:34pm
Phil  How big was that bird?  It must have been a tight fit.
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 4:37pm
Phil that looked wonderful, did you have a cermeric heater in the dome too (tokeep warm)?

Nuestro Pod be sure to bring warm clothes and a heater (a cermeric heater will heat the r dome nicely)...Thursday afternoon we(Corpus Area) are suppose to drop in the forties or lower. 

I was planning to Camp in Kingsville near my daughter, and spend a few days down there but the RV park (near her home) doesn't have any electric and with the cold weather, I don't want to run a generator all nite to stay warm.  (I'll just drive home the 40 minutes).   

LeeClap 
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
tedbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 9:12pm
I will take leftovers with me to Niobrara State Park for a few days, overlooking the confluence of the Niobrara and Missouri rivers in north central Nebraska, about four hours from Omaha.  Days in the 40s and nights in the 20s with sunshine in the forecast - good campfire and stargazing weather!
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Gerald Gerald wrote:

We camped at Ferris Provincial Park on thanksgiving. The main reason for chosing that park was we knew it wouldn't be busy at thanksgiving.

Ferris is one of my favourite parks for a quiet weekend.  Its rare that more than 20 of the 160-odd sites are occupied, there are lots of walking trails around, and its a quick jump into town.  Although there's now swimming in the park, your permit will get you into the town pool for free.

Quote Maybe we might run into you and Outbound at a park next year. Have a great winter.

Come spring, we'll have to arrange a get-together!
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by cane2 cane2 wrote:

Phil  How big was that bird?  It must have been a tight fit.

It was an eleven pound bird.

Space was really tight and I couldn't use a normal roasting pan.  I set the turkey on a cooling rack on top of a large pie plate and tented the whole thing with foil.  There was about 3/4" clearance from the top of the oven.  For the last 30 minutes, I uncovered the bird (I left tinfoil on the breast to keep it from burning) to let it brown.   It took about 5 1/2 hours to cook (about an hour longer than I had expected).

I never stuff a turkey: mom taught me to cook stuffing on the stove and then spoon it into the bird just before serving - that way, the stuffing is nice and crisp as opposed to mushy.

And, of course, always use a meat thermometer.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Gerald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 9:24am

A get together in the spring sounds great. Maybe we can do a turkey.....................(LOL)

Going to be a long winter. Keep in touch
2010 R-Pod 177 / 2009 GMC Canyon 4X4

Gerald, Lydia and the Boys (2 Shelties) ..........Canuck Podders
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 12:15pm
We wish for you a Happy Thanksgiving, Podders, wherever you may go.  Be safe in your travels.  If you camp, post pictures.  That helps those of us in the northern climes to get through the winter. Big smile
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic