r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Having issues winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenbuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Having issues winterizing
    Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 8:24pm
We are fairly new to camping and have an Rpod 173. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place but my husband is outside in teh dark trying to winterize our pod and cannot locate the hot water heater drain plug and the water pump.
Can anyone tell us where exactly the water valves would be? They are not under the sink and we cannot find them under the camper..HELP!

-Susan
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 8:43pm
- Hot water drain plug is the anode. it looks like a hexagon bolt. Unscrew that, leave it off.
- Remove the low point drain plugs for the hot and cold water lines.
- Use a blow out adapter on your city water connector and blow it out with air. About 45 PSI is good.
- Water pump is under the sink. turn it on and follow the sound. It should have a hose attached to it to "suck" anti freeze. run some anti freeze to it. Bypass you pump.
- Take the plug under you fresh tank. Leave it off. Take the same blow out adapter and blow out your fresh water tank.
- If you haven't drained you grey and blank tanks, do so. Pour some anti freeze in the sink and the toilet.
This should take you less than 10 mins. Good Luck! 

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
JoOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 9:53pm

JoOwl/Jo/Josephine
2010 171, 2010 Toyota Sienna
JoOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 9:56pm
We have found the drain under the fresh water tank on our 2010 RP 171.  But we can find the two line drains.  Where are they?
JoOwl/Jo/Josephine
JoOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 9:57pm
Er, that's supposed to have been cannot find the two line drains...
JoOwl/Jo/Josephine
Spud Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 10:00pm
Mine are behind the drivers side tire between the axle and frame. Sorta hard to get to !
joe&carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe&carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 9:42am
Originally posted by chickenbuc chickenbuc wrote:

We are fairly new to camping and have an Rpod 173. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place but my husband is outside in teh dark trying to winterize our pod and cannot locate the hot water heater drain plug and the water pump.
Can anyone tell us where exactly the water valves would be? They are not under the sink and we cannot find them under the camper..HELP!

-Susan

Sorry, I may be too late, with my comments, your question having been posted last evening.  Having said that, I notice that some latter comments might lead you astray a bit.  Specifically, on the R.Pod 173, the water pump is underneath the seat at the front of the unit on the side opposite the door.  Probably a year earlier on this site, someone posted some great pictures of what this looks like complete with instructions about how to use the cut-off valves and use pump to draw in the anti-freeze.

My other comment pertains to draining the water heater . . .  Before removing the annode, make certain you've released the pressure in the tank by flipping over the relief valve located at the upper right corner of the water tank while you're standing outside the r-pod and have removed the door to the water tank.  Without the pressure released, the annode can shoot out and harm someone while it is being removed.

Otherwise, good luck.  Joe
Joe & Carol
r-pod 173
JoOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Spud Pod Spud Pod wrote:

Mine are behind the drivers side tire between the axle and frame. Sorta hard to get to !

Thanks.  Ours were in plain sight, now that you told me where to look.Smile  Not hard to get to, except for the solidified foam gunk around them. 
JoOwl/Jo/Josephine
chickenbuc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenbuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 9:42pm
Thank you for the info about the 173. Is the annode the copper hexagon bolt at the bottom of the water heater when accessed by the outside panel? I thought it would be under the R-POD below the water heater, but the bolt I am speaking of is on the side. It's the only one I see that could possibly be it.
joe&carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe&carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by chickenbuc chickenbuc wrote:

Thank you for the info about the 173. Is the annode the copper hexagon bolt at the bottom of the water heater when accessed by the outside panel? I thought it would be under the R-POD below the water heater, but the bolt I am speaking of is on the side. It's the only one I see that could possibly be it.

Yes, you are looking at the correct bolt, which will require a 17/16" socket.  [If you don't have such a socket and go to buy one, pay attention as it will most likely require a 3/4" drive that is 5-6" long and you will have to get one of those also.] [The reason for the long drive is that your ratchet handle will not fit inside the compartment where you have to work.] Most likely, the annode will be very tight. so be prepared to use a "cheater" (piece of pipe about 24" long or something similar that will slip over the handle of your ratchet and give you leverage).

Before going much further, go back to the rpodnation.com site and look at page 2 of the archives under "Maintenance Issues" . . . . There are two previous discussions that might help you.  Start with the one entitled "Winterization" that was started on 10 Aug 2009.  After that, you might want to also look at the "Draining Hot Water Tank" that was started on 10 Oct 2010.

As always, good luck!  Joe
Joe & Carol
r-pod 173
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic