r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod Theft Protection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary & Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod Theft Protection
    Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 11:16am
What does everyone do to prevent theft of camper at home and/or in campgrounds?  We have the 175 on order. 
Mary & Don
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 12:31pm
You can get a locking device to slip onto the ball receiver.  That way nobody can hookup and drive off with it.  Nothing is foolproof but it will keep honest people honest.Big smile

Terry
Mary & Don View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary & Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 1:22pm

Would that be what is called a "coupler lock"?

TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 3:01pm
I think that is what it's called.

Terry
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 4:43pm
_popupControl(); I saw one at Wal Mart for $20 or $30 dollars.  It was yellow and in the RV section near automotive
Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
geneowens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 10:37pm
A coupler lock is some help; however, several years ago I got caught in an ice storm on I-95 in eastern NC. The pot holes in the ice got so bad that the hitch ball broke off on my truck. I had to wrap the safety chains around the truck bumper and did continue until I could find a motel that had rooms. We traveled 50 miles only using the safety chain to connect the Scamp to the truck - talk about white knuckels. Point being - a hitch lock is not enough to deter a thief determined to steal a camper the size of the Pod.
If you are camping in an "out of the way" place and must leave the Pod unattended for some time - perhaps taking a tire off and carrying it along would be better??? Of course the spare might have to go along as well. What about something like the boot that is used on vehicles which are parked illegally????
Stan and Linda Irvin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan and Linda Irvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 3:17pm
A simple fix: your hitch has a hasp on top with a hole for a pad lock. I use a Master combination for ours but, American Lock makes a very durable lock that is for all intents theft proof. American Lock for years has managed to foil all attemps by firefighters to breech during emergencies. A 12ga. shotgun is an alternative.
Stan and Linda
Mary & Don View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary & Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 3:33pm
We don't have our unit yet,so this is all new to us.  We will do whatever it takes.  We also will defend it if we're there. . .   A shotgun, 38 or 45 would work in that case, but if we pull away, then we would worry.  Thanks for your help.  We are picking up our unit on July 2nd at Couch's in Hamilton.
Mary & Don
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 4:07pm
I don't recall seeing the 12 gauge on the options list :)

Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 5:50pm
Pitbull with aids!

Terry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic