r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dual batteries and propane tanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterlover63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dual batteries and propane tanks
    Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 11:44am
I'm sure this has been discussed, but my search skills are lacking.  I trying to figure how to mount dual batteries and propane tanks on the tongue of my 182g.

Any suggestions?

Kathy

ps - I am getting hitch-itch something fierce!  Ready to go camping, but none of my wimpy friends are willing to brave temperatures in the teens Unhappy.
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 2:33pm
The batteries would be the easy part, another box, some cables from walmart and another battery. Wire in parallel, dual 20lb tanks would take a little modification work to fit.
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 8:24pm
I'm not sure about your 182g, but the battery tray on my 171 easily accomodates dual group-24 batteries without modification.  Please remember that when you do run dual batteries, that they must be of the same size and age - which likely means that you'll have to buy two new batteries (not just one).

For a dual propane tray, see your local RV dealer.  They'll be able to order one for you.  You'll also want a new regulator and automatic switch-over.  For safety's sake, please have a professional hook-up and test the new lines and regulator.

Before you begin, however, make sure to check that your vehicle can handle the additional tongue weight.  You'll be adding a considerable amount of weight and you may need a weight-distributing hitch (WDH) to accomodate it; this will add considerably to the price of the modification.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
waterlover63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterlover63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 8:50am
Thanks for the info!  I just checked the owner's manual for my 04 Chevy Colorado.  It's says:  4,000 for the trailer and a max of 500 tongue weight.

I'll probably just modify the batteries and carry an extra propane tank in the bed of the truck (secured - don't want any missile action!).

So - if I just bought the trailer and the only time the battery has been used is for the 20 mile tow home, would I need to buy 2 new batteries?

Kathy
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 9:40am
Originally posted by waterlover63 waterlover63 wrote:

Thanks for the info!  I just checked the owner's manual for my 04 Chevy Colorado.  It's says:  4,000 for the trailer and a max of 500 tongue weight.

I'll probably just modify the batteries and carry an extra propane tank in the bed of the truck (secured - don't want any missile action!).

So - if I just bought the trailer and the only time the battery has been used is for the 20 mile tow home, would I need to buy 2 new batteries?

Kathy

Check your state's vehicle laws. Some have restrictions on what types of vehicles are permitted to carry propane tanks, the maximum size of the tank, and how the tank must be secured.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 10:01am
Quote I'll probably just modify the batteries and carry an extra propane tank in the bed of the truck (secured - don't want any missile action!).

An old milk crate does a great job of stabilizing a propane tank.  Personally, I have a small, 10 pound tank that I bring as a backup for the trailer and for our portable BBQ.  Its a bit easier to lug around than a 20 pound tank and more compact.

Quote So - if I just bought the trailer and the only time the battery has been used is for the 20 mile tow home, would I need to buy 2 new batteries?

A couple dozen hours of use here or there won't matter.  Your second battery will have to be from the same manufacturer, of the same model and preferably have the same manufacturing date as your current battery.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
waterlover63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterlover63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 11:10am
One of my camping buddies talked me down :)  He reminded me that my mantra is supposed to be "lightweight", not "haul everything I own and then some"

I'm going to hold off on the dual tanks/batteries until I've actually camped in the trailer.
Kathy
SW Ohio
2011 R-Pod 182g
1998 Dodge Ram 1500
3 or more dogs (dependent on foster situation)
turncoat3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turncoat3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:37pm

If you are going to do a lot of dry camping, the necessity of dual propane and batteries are not really necessary.  Everything on the TT operates well on 30 amps.  I have not used my propane at all in 2010 because I have plugged in at the campsites I have stayed in.  Best wishes on your purchase.   You will enjoy the R-POD life.

Ben & Lorrie
2010 RP177
turncoat3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turncoat3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:38pm
OOPS!   Meant to say that UNLESS you do a lot of Dry Camping.
Ben & Lorrie
2010 RP177
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 3:24pm
Here are my thoughts on dual batteries and propane:

1. If you had a choice between two batteries or two propanes, then I would go with 2 propanes.
  - Two propanes will give you lots of heat especially if you're doing a cross country or dry camping, especially in cold climates.
  - We used one of our propanes for the Coleman grill and the other for the coach.
2. Dual batteries will give you more light and "juice" to power your equipment.
  - This is useful if you're also doing cross countries and dry camping, but in a warmer climate.
  - You can use an inverter to power A/C powered equipment if you need to.
3. Determine what type of use you're going to have, BEFORE you spend extra money on your coach.
4. If you just have extra money burning holes in your pocket, then go dual for both: better yet, get 2 6V batteries instead of 2 - type 24's.

We have camped in resorts, overnight places, full hook-ups, electric only, parks, Walmart, etc. We have camped in the dead of summer and in the winter when the temperature is in the single digits approaching the negatives. Both these additions will serve you well if you're going to use then, otherwise, you're spending money you don't need.

Good luck and have fun!

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic